View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Speaking of which, is the dirt path open between the F1 track and the l'Estacade to RecreoParc?
It was open even this past summer. There was maybe 50 meters that you had to walk under some scaffolding that goes under the construction site.

I love the run down around the point past the Recreo Park and back up even past the F1 and taking the Jacques Cartier bridge back into town.

There is also a nice path along the St Lawrence that runs in a park that starts in Verdun and runs down past the Rapids part and past Iles-aux-Herons. If you follow that to the end, you go past all kinds of art installations and if you can go through some little traffic and bike pathed roads at the end (the whole thing runs near Blvd LaSalle) and get back around to Lachine Canal. If you follow down LaSalle past that you can get to Rene Levesque Park which has some great sights. And from there do the loop up to the Canal.

Someone posted above that the drivers are crazy. I am from NYC where they ARE crazy. I LOVE riding in Montreal because I find it incredibly bike sensitive, polite, and friendly. I never consider riding in NY City except in the middle of the day...no rush hour, no bad weather, no darkness nor dusk. In Montreal (and up in the Laurentians) I have no issue riding at any time any day. I frequently ride on Rte 117 (think major interstate for American readers) for quite a bit up in the Laurentians. It has wide shoulders where I ride and I have, on several occasions, had tractor trailer trucks slow to a crawl to let traffic pass so they could get in the left lane to give me more room. That said, I wouldn't ride on Rte 15 in Montreal proper, but the local streets are fine. And yeah, they are in bad shape right after the snow melts but they get fixed. In NYC, there always suck and it gets worse the more economically disadvantaged a neighborhood is...but that's a whole other discussion.