View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM

Agree on all fronts. It pains me to see small businesses fail, esp those based in the USA. I hope these guys succeed. Those are real jobs and people behind the www dressing, however eccentric (or even out of touch with reality) the front man is, and they all have to fight against big bike co's who want to devour their little slice of the market (gravel bikes, for example).

Funny thing is, I still think of a gravel bike as a glorified cyclocross bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
54ny77 I could be wrong on a bit of this but it looks like gravel bikes take ques from a good number of bicycle types that came before. Early military bikes, cyclocross bikes, mountain bikes, touring bikes, elements of earlier road bikes etc.

My first real memory of what we could probably classify as a "gravel bike" would point back for me at least to the Serotta Slicker of the mid 80's. The next bike along these lines that I remember seeing would be Dave Kirks MRB model. There are sure to be many other builders/manufacturers that make/made similar bicycles for a long time.

We all have the luxury of standing on the development work from many builders and cyclists that have come before us. Anyone that can add to the builders and such to fill in what are sure to be large holes I'd really look forward to the info.

I've looked at the Rivendell site on and off for years but have never been who their gear is aimed at so I don't have any skin in this particular game. Hopefully if they've got decent gear and prices that bring value I hope they have success. The market and possible customers will vote with their wallets.