View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:35 PM

Perhaps I should have called my post, why bike shops are losing customers like me. All your points are 100% valid. I like steel and titanium bikes and the carbon stuff I see around just does not interest me. I’m definitely not the normal shopper. In my dream world maybe one of these shops will open back up that stock old parts and small bits and pieces and will make a million dollars off us old riders. This dream shop will also carry kids bikes but can save that idea for another day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Think about it.

Derailleur clamps don't do the following.

Wear out.

Break.

Get stolen.

Get upgraded (kinda but it's weird)

They also don't come in just one size and flavor to meet all needs.

Why should a bike shop stock all the options when they sell so few? If they have a bike in for service they order it. If someone comes in and "needs" one, they order it. Sounds smart to me.

I fail to see the problem, and BTW not having derailleur clamps in stock in all sizes and colors is not why bike shops are closing. And buying a little widget here and there that you overlooked having/buying for a new build from your LBS is not "supporting your local bike shop" Buying a middle of the road bike because you don't know sheet about bikes and need assistance and help from your "LBS" vs going to the Internet or a mega-store to save a few bucks is "supporting your local bike shop"

Drop by your local auto dealer and see if they have the exact door handle for your 1999 Ford Explorer in stock in the ruby red colorway you need...

You can't have it all. Rant over.