View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcarter View Post
For a 5 yo, you probably want about a 1/2 sized guitar. Generally, kids would start with a nylon string classical guitar at that age. A used guitar would generally be the way to go for a child of that age. There are many reasonable Chinese-made guitars which retail for $120-$300. A new Yamaha 1/2 size at $120 would be more than adequate.

If you live near an urban area, they are often on Craigslist (or Nextdoor if it is popular in your area). If you don't play, it is helpful to have someone who can test that the guitar is in reasonable shape.
Reverb and GuitarCenter both have used guitars, and some rating of condition. Like bikes, they depreciate pretty quickly, except for the high end.

For lessons, it depends on where you live. Many local music shops have introductory lessons. My daughter has taken lessons through a private teacher who comes to our house. Lessons are the more critical component than the guitar (and will cost far more than the guitar over time).

Here's an interesting article on choosing (for an older child) that came out around when I was getting my daughter her first guitar: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/...al-instrument/
As a longtime guitar player (since the ‘70s) with 3 kids — 2 guitar players among them — I’d like to say that this seems like a very sensible post to me. Two thumbs up. Keep in mind the line about “reasonable shape” as a used CL guitar might look to be intact while in fact being virtually unplayable — there are many sound, inexpensive guitars out there, and shopping with an experienced friend or at a reputable shop can avoid headaches.

Guitar playing friends might have thoughts about individual teachers or shops to favor in your area. I’ll add that many music shops offer rentals and/or trade-ins for kids instruments, which might prove handy as you move from 1/2 size to 3/4, or one style to another (or to none at all).

Last edited by djg; 11-19-2018 at 12:44 PM.