View Single Post
Old 11-03-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcovelo View Post
Hey Echappist:

I believe we have the E6 model.

About a doser (dosing grinder)

We have one, and I think the thing to know is that it has to have a substantial amount of ground coffee in it to be effective (read: accurate). WIth our Ceado I would estimate that that would involve grinding enough for something like 5 double shots at an absolute minimum (probably more). And then you will need to grind more for the next shot, etc. etc.This effectively makes the dosing function irrelevant when making fewer than several double shots. Not something probably worth paying for in a home setting. On the other hand, the doser does not pose any special problem/difficulty in a home setup. It is just that the doser cannot be used as designed.

Now, if you are interested in measuring (i.e., dosing) you could always time the grinding with a watch (once you have this figured out) and then just empty the dosing chamber. Or--and this is what I have done--, with a digital scale and a little practice you can train yourself to estimate the amount of ground coffee in the filter basket with a relatively high degree of precision by sight alone (+/- ~ 2g).

If money were no object (when is it not?) a grinder with a timer would be a preferable option I think; this would allow measuring of smaller quantities of ground coffee--i.e., enough for a single double shot. In short, if you can afford it, a timed grinder is probably the way to go for a home setup.
Got it; thanks for the explanation

There's an on-sale E6X that i've been eyeing, but I don't drink nearly enough per day to make it worthwhile, not to mention that i may switch to decaf later on in the day. Which is too bad.

The Eureka Mignon has one model with a timer, perhaps that's what i'll end up buying. The good things is that I don't need a replacement at this very moment, so I can wait and see what deals come along.