View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
Kinda depends on what you drink and how often you drink it. I've had one, great little machine especially with a PID, which runs just south of $200. If you can replace your brake cables, you can install a PID.

It's got serious quality parts inside, all of which are readily available should something go wrong. It's a single boiler machine though, so recovery time is slow between shots and steam is just so-so.

This is a great deal that's nearby if interested though. $600 for a silvia AND rocky!
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/hsh...723391379.html
I researched and bought mine 10 years ago, but I think it still likely fits the bill for minimum entry to a quality unit. I am sure there are a few other good options in this range as well.

I am sure the PID makes things easier to ensure your temp is always right, but I do not feel it is a need in anyway and have never felt the need to upgrade to PID. I just have a routine such that I am always pulling my shot X seconds after the ready point and through testing (X = 45 sec for me), found that to likely align to ideal temp.

To facilitate, I wait till its hot, run water through the portafilter to warm my cup and get the heat light to come back on. Then I prep my portafilter while it reheats and then wait 45 sec after light goes off and pull my shot.