View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 07:18 AM
PegoNagos

About 15 minutes of spinning on the bike and it should be smooth like butter, but I don't think that 45 minutes is enough time to really get the was "in there" properly. You will need to rewax the chain sooner than if properly waxed. The first time I waxed I didn't have the chain in the wax very long and after a couple hundred miles the was had worn off (the chain had gotten noisy).

When Jason at Friction Facts made the instructions for his wax chain recipe public (before he sold the company to CeramicSpeed) his recommendation was to actually heat the chain in the oven prior to getting it in the wax. I tried to do this once and my wife saw me put the chain in the oven and she lost it on me. So no chain in the oven. I think that the theory is that the chain needs time to get to the same temperature as the hot wax so that the wax can get all up in the chain's business.

For me waxing is a day long process. In the morning I turn on the crockpot of wax (additives already mixed in per the Friction Facts recipe), then I clean the chain with a couple of vigorous baths in mineral spirits. Once the wax is melted the chain (well, chains - I usually do a couple at a time) goes in and stays in there for at least 4 hours. I flip the chain and stir the wax about every 30-45 minutes.

When I hang the chain(s) to dry they dry very stiff - each half of the chain can be held straight out like a sword. After the warm-up portion of the first ride it's like butter.