Thread: Carbon bike
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
Carbon, specifically Look 585's convinced me to sell my custom steel (Strong) and Ti (Moots) and not look back
The 585 fits me as good as anything I have owned, and the ride is excellent.

I wasn't looking for another bike when a like new Fuji Altamira landed on my doorstep. It built into a nice bike, the lightest and stiffest bike I have ridden. If I were forced to only have one I would be happy with either. But if I could choose I would pick the 585 every time.

In my opinion the price of new bikes is crazy. I bought all of mine used after doing my research, asking plenty of questions, and looking at a lot of photos.
There are some good deals to be had if you are patient or do a WTB.

Good luck, have fun.
I'm a late comer to the carbon world as well, but got a heck of a deal on a project 585 on the forum.

It has not made me dump my steel bikes, but I can see why people thought this was the bees knees when the 585s were new. To me it is like refined steel with more dampening. The rest--stiffness or whatever--disappears in the noise, but I do appreciate the dampening on the torn up roads around here.

Sometimes I miss the exquisite connection with the road you would get on a perfect Italian steel bike (the old joke--run over a quarter and tell if it was heads or tails facing up) but Imma getting old, and I like the comfort now.