View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
With an annual ride hitting this weekend, I'm remembering it was about a year ago (maybe in Sept/Oct) that I started going bike-buying crazy. Since then, I've had 30 bikes in some form pass through my garage, some for a very short time (unridden), some for a longer time, and with five currently sticking around.

It all started with a vague feeling that my 6.9SSL front end was a wet-noodle descending, not really liking the SRAM Force on it, and thinking it wasn't worth it to upgrade the parts vs. buying a different bike. From there things got weird...and I'm only just now settling into what I think is a good understanding of what fits and what I like/need/want.

It's been a long strange trip, and I like to think some of my madness has resulted in a number of folks here being happy they got good deals on some really nice bikes. Most of the time it's been a fun process. I love wrenching on bikes. But a couple of them have been a PITA due to inaccurate listings. And all that wrenching, boxing, searching, etc. has taken away a bit from my ride time.

Was it worth it? Most of them, yes. Some of them, no.

This next year will be markedly different though. I have some personal-life commitments drawing away some of the hobby time, and I'm not going to sacrifice training/riding for unnecessary wrenching. That may change depending on how some other things go though. Maybe I'll hit the lottery, quit my day-job, and trade in used bike parts full time

I still have quite a few accumulated parts to clear out as I get the couple that are staying built and fine-tuned. Prices will be trending to blow-out as we get into the fall and my time starts running short...

• New ’12 Trek Madone 6.9 SSL (60) – bought NOS, rode 1,500mi, didn’t like the lack of front end stiffness/tracking at time, but wish I’d kept this one
  • New ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – bought online, sent back, didn’t think I liked the look and was going to keep the Madone
  • Used ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – frame only, too small due to cut fork
  • New ’14 Cannondale SS EVO HM (58) – complete, bought online, returned, didn’t like the look
  • New ’15 Cannondale CAAD10 Black Inc (60) – bought on super-sale, didn’t like ride, found the Tarmac
  • New ’15 Niner Air 9 RDO (L) – returned, too small
  • Used ’15 Specialized Tarmac Pro (61) – liked it, kinda felt too big, wanted steel
  • Used ’07 Yamaguchi Team USA (59) – loved it, raced it, rode it, felt too big, wanted to rebuild w Campy, stripped it, rebuilt twice trying to get it to fit, admitted it doesn’t, passed on
  • Used ’12 Lynskey R460 (58) – complete, came as a bit of a basket-case, but a good price, tried it, had other projects in mind
  • Used ’04 Merckx MX Leader 25th Anniv (59) – complete, tried it, didn’t like clearance or bar/stem options
  • Used ‘90s Fat Chance (19) – frame only, looked too small, had other projects
  • Used ‘90s Serotta Colorado III (63) – semi-complete, built it, liked the ride, a bit big, didn’t like bar/stem options
  • Used Felt F1 (61) – frame only, wasn’t in described condition, went back to seller
  • Used ‘10s Zanconato Sportif (58.5) – frame only, liked ride, but not bar/stem options, and should have tried with a straight post given 72.5* STA, felt like I was way out the back and only realized that was due to a 25+mm setback after I sold it
  • Used ‘90s Holland Steel (64) – complete, way too big, not sure why I bought it
  • Used ’07 Holland Ti (59) – stripped to rebuild and got confused on measurements, should never have sold, biggest one I regret.. :L
  • Used ’05 Merlin XLM (22) – complete off PinkBike, parts were bunk, PayPal complaint process left a bad taste, sold the frame, donated the parts
  • Used '00s Serotta Legend/?? (57) – complete, bought for the wheels and fork, passed the frame on to a new owner
  • Used ’05 Merlin Extralight (62) – complete, rode great, too big
  • Used ‘00s Serotta Legend Ti (62) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • Used ’08 Holland Ti (63) – complete, rode amazing, too big
  • New(ish) ’14 Kestrel Legend SL (59) – complete, great price from Amazon Whse, liked it a lot, liked the fit and geometry, wasn’t sure about frame clearance/style or carbon in general, wanted Ti/Steel in same proportions
  • Used ’11 Moots Rigormootis (20) – complete, package deal, got chance to get 29’er instead, sold frameset
  • Used ’11 Moots Vamoots CR (60) [current] – complete, stripped older DA, rebuilt w DA9100, rides great, fits great
  • Used ’03 Litespeed Ultimate (58) – complete, bought locally, guy needed to sell it and I passed on the deal to the forum folks knowing it was too small for me (most likely – could have made it work)
  • Used ’15 Moots Vamoots (52) – frameset, wife thought it was “too nice”, passed it on to forum member who wanted it initially
  • Used ’93 Keith Anderson (58) [current] – complete, responded to PSA on eBay listing, probably shouldn’t have, donating most of the parts, unsure I’ll keep it even though it has good clearance, but may hold onto it as a rain bike until the custom rando gets built
  • Used ’14 Moots MootoX RSL (20) [current] – frameset, discussed over a month or two with seller, decided to try it, unsure I need it vs. a ‘cross bike, going to build and ride while its up for sale
  • Used ’06 Merlin Works 6/4Ti (59) [current] – complete, bought locally, likely keeping as training bike until next race season
  • Used ’15 Pegoretti Marcelo (58) [inbound] – frame only, responded to PSA on eBay listing, hoping for a good fit and good ride characteristics, may push the Moots CR or the Merlin out the door depending on garage space
  • New Custom [maybe] - Thinking about a custom neo-rando road bike…like for the Race Across Oregon…bad roads, but still roads, all day/night riding…deposit in the Fall, delivery in the Winter.

Clean39,

This original post is screaming for an update.