View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Well which is it? Do they speed up in the dead zone to store energy, or do they slow down in the dead zone to store energy? It sounds like you can't make up your mind.
As I said, the cranks gather velocity in the power zone and that velocity is carried into the dead zone where it is used up. The "storage" is just between power and dead.

I don't know why you don't understand what I mean.

Quote:
You're envisioning things that don't happen. I challenge you to measure any meaningful change in the distance between BB and hub on any rigid (non-articulated) rear triangle. We can easily measure lateral deflection at the BB and we can easily measure rotational deflection at the BB (relative to the rear hub), but there is no meaningful change in actual distance between BB and hub.
I don't have to measure it - the GCN video quite clearly shows the "expanding" stays pulling on the chain. Instead of letting the wheel go completely, they could have let the brake out slowly and demonstrated exactly how much distance the chain is pulled for the amount of crank deflection.