View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks Jan,

Either way you replace the bolt to install the rack, so what the brake comes spec'd with is irrelevant if no rack is installed. Am I reading this correctly?
When you buy Compass brakes, we offer a choice of bolts with or without rack-mounting extensions. Also, it makes sense to match front and rear bolts... For the rear, we figured the Allen bolts are so ubiquitous that most people have them lying around, so we ship with nice hex bolts that are impossible to find otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Thanks Jan,
So you just buy a rack that attaches mid blade and to the crown.
The attachment to the crown has to be a flat strap that goes under the brake arms, which prevents the brake from opening enough to let through an inflated 44 mm tire. Also, flat metal parts are heavier than tubes. (Our rack weighs just 168 g).

While all these parts work great on fenderless racing bikes, their design also makes it possible to build a bike with racks, fenders and lights that offers the same performance as a racing bike. To do that, you need to push the design and manufacture quite a bit further...

As to the serviceability, on a good bike, your brake bolts never should come loose. (The only one I ever had come loose was holding both brake and rack, and that one worked loose - hence my preference for the Herse-style bolts that prevent this.) So on the road, there is no need to carry a wrench to tighten the brake bolts.

Jan Heine
Founder
Compass Cycles
www.compasscycle.com