View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
I've lived (and traveled extensively) in the area.

If you don't like crowds, Sedona/South Rim/Zion are all to be avoided. However, crowds can easily be mitigated at all three -- more or less.

For four days on the ground, I'd recommend Sedona for the entire time. Pricey but beautiful hotels, excellent food across the gamut of price ranges. Oak Creek, the town just south, is less expensive. If you start hiking relatively early, the trails will not be crowded, especially on the longer hikes with more elevation gain. Or hike early, come back into town for a nice lunch, and then head back out in the late afternoon. Lots of options for different kinds of hikes, too -- canyon versus ridgeline versus hilltop.

The South Rim has great backpacking, but the day-hiking is less varied than Sedona. And the main trails basically drop down into the canyon, then climb right back up out of it. My favorite thing to do at the South Rim is to bicycle the Hermit's Rest road, which is limited to shuttle buses and bikes.

Zion has exploded in popularity in the last ten years, with almost all of the visitors in a small section (of a small park). I love it, but it's hard to manage these days. And the best hikes there are problematic if you're afraid of heights.
I've been in Vegas since 1990, before that grew up and lived in Phoenix. I'd pretty much agree with mhespenheide, do it out of Phoenix, head to Sedona and the south rim. The south rim is the rim that's photographed and that people think of when they think of the Grand Canyon. Between Sedona/Oak Creek and the South Rim, would be easy to spend 4 or 5 days. And while there are crowds, it's not Disneyland, or NYC. There's room outdoors in the west. Also, the drive up from Phoenix, up 17 to Flagstaff, really is one of the most scenic "freeway" drives you'll find. Much better than the drive from Vegas.
I've been all over Zions, and while it is beautiful, unless your going to hike it extensively, or bike it, I don't see spending more than a day. And, the north rim is wonderful, much quieter, but it is not the South Rim.
Also, if airfare is cheaper into and out of Vegas, that same Sedona/South rim is equally as doable from either airport. I just like the drive up from Phoenix more than from Vegas.

Last edited by bking; 01-11-2018 at 11:07 AM.