View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 02:37 PM

bmx brake update: no-go.

The bmx u-brake/990 plate combination isn't going to work on my Bontrager Satellite fork with 650B wheels. The pivot studs are set too far apart for a reasonable reach to the 24mm rim using v-brake type pads with the spacers set at their widest arrangement. If there was a 990 plate with a narrower stud spacing it might be a good match. There's more brake reach than necessary, also, so the pads would be at the top of the slots. It's just too much brake for this application - too wide and too deep. A custom plate would be ideal, and probably not too difficult to make if you had the equipment to do it.

Actually... Now that I look at this plate I think it might be possible to drill and thread two new holes up higher and closer together... The studs are threaded and lock-nutted onto the plate, so they could be relocated to a better position for this fitment. It would probably look like a hack, though. :-)

I'll keep playing with this, but for the time being I'll use the Tektro 559 dual pivot caliper. I fit a set of Kool Stop Dura2 salmon pads in the holders on this caliper, and the performance is quite good!

Ed.

Last edited by Ed-B; 12-11-2017 at 03:04 PM.