View Single Post
Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Head to Ned

[QUOTE=Bstone;1850833]I remember in the 80s when all of the top riders had to know how to slide the front and rear tires on 500 two strokes of the era because the tires only lasted for half of the races. Those races were crazy to watch.

Lawson, Spencer, Mamola, Rainey, Swantz, etc. The only european that would run close was that french guy (somebody help me out).

I just can't like the modern version as much, even though I have tried.

Ever since Honda changed their bike around to suit Dani Pedrosa by introducing traction control even though Nicky Hayden was Honda's reigning world champion. And could slide that bad boy around just fine thank you. And win.

Similar comparison with Grand Prix motor racing. The early 80's had ground effects and turbo motors producing over 1000 hp in qualifying (not at the same time).I like the modern racing, but for old fashioned hair raising freakishness, there really is no comparison.[/

QUOTE]

Jean-Michel Bayle

I agree, the old 500 2-stroke GP bikes were the best. Few riders ever really mastered them that weren't former dirt racers because of the need to be sliding almost continuously. Anyone remember the wheelie show with King Kenny and Randy @ Laguna in around '84 or '85? Simply unbelievable

And though it is not remotely the same thing, my '85 replica Yamaha RZ500 sure is great fun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rzbike.jpg (34.1 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by witcombusa; 10-29-2015 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add pic