View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrevich4 View Post
Been looking at buying a couple of new Shimano 11 cassettes and ran across some reviews saying the early models broke. Shimano apparently fixed the problem but hasn't to my knowledge issued a recall.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/06/...nate-creaking/

Contrasting that with what SRAM did last year when they pulled their hydraulic brake systems and gave generous replacements. Not that I follow the industry too closely but I did notice SRAM is down to one world tour team (not sure if that's because of the losses associated with the recall though some on the forum have suggested it).

Anyone have any insights?
Subject of a previous thread. 'Some' suggested they got their $ worth by sponsoring many teams, got their foot in the door, now don't 'need' to sponsor. Doubt it. 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday', still alive and well in bike stuff.
Their OEM sales are shrinking(watch shimano-BIG $), their cost to do biz(warranty world) is high(poor design, materials, poor Asian factory monitoring), plus add 2 major recalls(brakes and wifi red rear ders), so they are financially being careful, ie, want to lose less $.

shimano has had some 'running changes', like the DA cogset carrier, but nothing of the scale as 'hydraulic discs don't work in the cold', type stuff.

But who knows. Their focus seems to be US cross(small market) and US road(see the number of small US teams sponsored), plus MTB in general. Altho I think XTR/XT+ series is far better designed and built than sram anything, IMHO.

Now a 'false start' with their electronic, not ready for prime time..so we'll see.