Thread: OT: sportwagen
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Cranky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Can you tell me some more about the vag-com? I did a little googling, but I'm not putting all the pieces together. For accessing those features, did you just buy an adapter and use the shareware? Do you need the expensive software to do useful things? Is this really a $20 endeavor?

Finally, is it difficult? Is there a high risk of mucking things up, or are you just picking menus in the software?
The cable is expensive because it is essentially the license for the software. The Ross-Tech cable enables all functions of the freely distributed program.

It is not cheap, but pays for itself if it saves you two or three trips to the shop. In my case, it helped me diagnose and reset the fault codes triggering a check engine light ('twas a bad glow plug relay).

As I recall, on the car I had, the software would have allowed me to modify things like fuel supply mapping, and similarly important things, but you'd have to drill down through several menus, and it would have been very difficult to do accidentally.