View Single Post
Old 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
You sound a lot like me except I don't have and don't plan on having kids.

My question to those who do is why would you think you need to pay for their college? I went two years to a community college to get rid of the useless classes before attending a University for another 3 years. My debt after graduation was $8,000 which I paid off in the following two years. As for grad school I wouldn't go to grad school if I wasn't paid with grants, funding, and working as a TA or something like that.

I don't think employers care what school you graduate from in most cases. All you need is the piece of paper. Worked for me anyway.
Not everyone has that level of frugality upon high school graduation. I went to a (public) HS where everyone went to 4 year schools and probably 75% of those private. If you didn't you were an outlier. Unfortunately no one was ramming home the reality of what putting yourself $100K into debt would do to your financial situation upon graduation. Hopefully with rising costs, more of that is happening today. I certainly would have gladly taken your approach had I realized the pickle I was putting myself in.

I'm going to do my best to try to help pay for some portion of my kid's school, being that I paid for all of my own and know what that burden has been like. I think it'll be more like, here's $X dollars, use it for school as you see fit. Any amount you spend over $X is on you.