View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
If it's ovalized, reaming is not the best solution. A proper mandrel might make it more round--Buldogge's recommendation for using a sacrificial steel SP is right on. Find the correct clamp and a slightly undersized post, and all should be good. Use carbon paste if there's slippage...
It's hard to offer complete advice without knowing what is wrong with the frame, or indeed what size tube and posts are being discussed. I would, however, disagree in general that an undersized post and some goop is the best solution for an oval seat tube. To me this is like a post-accident automobile's bumper fallen cover affixed with duct tape as a solution, in that the underlying damage is the real issue. Something sharp is causing the scratches on the post being inserted. That something should be identified.

cm - DKG was a supplier to Serotta for clamps in the 30mm sizing, if the frame is of the age that I am imagining and used that clamp, and they are still being offered here:
DKG Sizing Page

It is likely, in my experience, that whether the tight fit and scratches are due simply to a past over-tightening of the clamp, perhaps to accommodate a 27.1mm post, then remedied by manipulating the tube above the slot and sweetening the edges of the slot, or whether they are due to the interior surface of a weld such as the seat stays, a reamer may be required to achieve a nice sliding fit.

If you were anywhere nearby, or wanted to ship it, I'd offer to have a look at it and see about fixing it. This is not an un-heard of issue.