Thread: If........
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Dave, I'm sure someone will want a "homage" frame/bike, but what would they do with it? and would you put kirk decals on it? what would you call it? would it ridden on ice cream rides?

Every weekend, how many lost souls are rolling on carbon bikes that weigh under 18 pounds, some under 16 pounds. why not take those parts and weld them up with 953 and 853 tubing and build a ride that is as good as anything else you build today? sure make something that looks like a CSI or a colorado, but it should be a great riding bike that someone would want to ride hard today! wouldn't that really pay homage to those parts?
I think i understand your point.

I suppose one could use some modern tubes with the older parts but for the most part you can't find stuff to fit. The Colorado tubes flared from 1 1/8" at the top to 1 3/8" at the BB and this is the reason these tubes worked the way they did. If you use straight 1 3/8" tubes the frame would be WAY too stiff for all but the biggest and heaviest guys. So without the flared tubes the BB becomes pretty useless............and the flared tubes are not available in the superlight and thin 953/853 material.

I think an homage bike would be a way for folks to ride a little slice in time and see how the Serottas of the day rode - which is pretty damn good and very much unique at the time. They were, and are, great riding bikes that have a understandable following and it just feels like fun to me to build a few that honor that.

dave