View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Could someone educate my on how this is possible?

I've felt flexy fork blades and I've felt underinflated tires before but I can't imagine a steer tube flexing. Are we not talking about a super strong carbon/steel/aluminum tube, heavily supported at both ends of the head tube(5-8" apart)?

When people speak of flexy steer tubes are they talking about at the crown of the fork or what? I can't see any way there is flex taking place inside the frame.
The steerer tube *of a fork* can and will flex. It has contact to the frame itself only where the bearings are and is free in between. A buddy has a 1" CFK Mizuno Alpe d'Huez in his 64cm Klein Quantum where the effect is actually visible when one pulls the front brake and rocks the bike back and forth.
Obviously, this will impact the way the ride feels more than any gimmick designers pull off on their frame designs.

About the main subject: I love(d) my Moots Vamoots. Had it for a couple of years, it was a trusty companion on many miles. It is a very understated bike due to its optics, the Gentlemen's choice.