View Single Post
Old 10-31-2005, 01:27 AM

Fairfax Titanium

I mention Fairfax, because that's very close to where all the WTB guys: Steve Potts, Cunningham and Gary Fisher, Otis Guy et. al. live and ride. Other than Ritchey this is the who's who of mtn biking. Gary is a great guy by the way. My buddy Doug is best friends with Otis whom I have never met. Amazing that 14 guys who liked to ride down Mt. Tam started a multi-billion dollar industry and so many of them started there own companies.

I've seen Cunningham's first Al road bike which has lasted 25 years which has the worst welds of any bike on the planet. Cunninghams welds improved with practice. Pott's Ti bikes are rare. His road bikes are more rare. If you live in Marin it would be very cool to have a Potts Ti road bike. I doubt that Potts has made more than a 100 Ti bikes or more than 200 road bikes in his life and I would factor that into the equation as well. It would be a good question to ask.

If you live anywhere else I'd probably get a Serotta or a Moots. Fundamentally, Serotta does more things right than any other bike maker at the custom level, including this web site. I'd love to have Kelly design a bike for me.

Great to have all these choices,

Cheers,

Kane