View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:10 AM

I would like to take just a second or two to echo the sentiment of a few others that most any bike can be a gravel road bike. One does not need huge tires and wide brakes to have fun on a gravel road. As long at the road isn't full of big rocks or deep holes that can't be ridden around most any road bike will do.

I've been riding gravel on a nearly daily basis for the past 10 years in Montana and for a life time previous to that on a straight up road bike, with 'normal' road tires and brakes and in all that time I've never damaged a wheel and cut a sidewall on a tire once..........once in a good 20 years of riding skinny tires on dirt/gravel. I flat a few times a year on the road and seldom on gravel (good mechanical reasons for this that I won't dip into at this point).

I sometimes ride with folks who will not take a turn off the well traveled and paved path onto a quiet and smooth dirt road for fear that their wonderbike will suddenly burst into flames if they do so. But I'm here to state that most any road bike will come out the other side NOT on fire and the only change will be the deep smile on the rider's face. I feel for those that look at said dirt road and pass by for fear of damaging the bike. Unless you go way out of your way to hurt and flat out abuse the bike it will be fine and you will have fun.

So I urge you to not worry that you have 'only' 23's or 25's and just ride the bike on what ever road you find in front of you. You'll have more fun, your bike will be fine and you'll have just that many more roads and riding loops open themselves to you.

Take the road less traveled and enjoy. I got out yesterday for about 1 1/2 hrs and a solid hour of it was on dirt with 25 mm tires and carbon wheels..........and they held up just fine. Just like a hundred rides before. Explore and have fun!

Dave