The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   They Called Me the Painted Man: Cycling Tips essay by Ama Nsek (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=261403)

Clean39T 11-20-2020 11:52 AM

They Called Me the Painted Man: Cycling Tips essay by Ama Nsek

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/11/they...e-painted-man/

Discussion on the CyclingTips site in their comments section is an option for those who wish to share their takes.

Black Dog 11-20-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clean39T (Post 2832892)
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/11/they...e-painted-man/

Discussion on the CyclingTips site in their comments section is an option for those who wish to share their takes.

He is far above the bar for being a decent human, so many more are not. :(

ridethecliche 11-20-2020 12:50 PM

I hope to one day have his strength and dream that one day he might not have to.

d_douglas 11-20-2020 12:50 PM

pretty articulate article. pretty horrifying sentiments.

Its shocking to hear these things.

lavi 11-20-2020 03:50 PM

This kind of **** (the comments said to the rider and other POC) makes my blood BOIL!

I have no kinds words for racists or their ilk. I do however, have a baseball bat that I'd love to introduce all of them to.

mcteague 11-20-2020 04:31 PM

The last few years have shown me more about my country than I really wanted to know. I knew we were a racist country and that the stain of slavery was everywhere. But...guess I never knew so many harbored so much hatred. Maybe, just maybe, when things settle down a bit Americans can finally admit we are all a bit racist, some much more than others. It’s part of our DNA now. Acknowledge it, accept it and then try to remedy it.

Tim

gasman 11-20-2020 05:37 PM

gdw- you earned yourself a 2 week ban for personal insults.
You may not agree with what others say but you can't insult members of the forum.

jamesdak 11-20-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcteague (Post 2833069)
The last few years have shown me more about my country than I really wanted to know. I knew we were a racist country and that the stain of slavery was everywhere. But...guess I never knew so many harbored so much hatred. Maybe, just maybe, when things settle down a bit Americans can finally admit we are all a bit racist, some much more than others. It’s part of our DNA now. Acknowledge it, accept it and then try to remedy it.

Tim

Speak for yourself, I for one am sick and tired of being told I'm racist. Of course to dare even say that opens me up to attack but really I am sick of it. :no:

Heck, I see things the opposite. When Obama ran I had no clue who he was or where he came from. I honestly thought the country was too racist still to elect him. I was happily very wrong.

Hilltopwalters 11-21-2020 11:19 AM

I don't remember who told me this but, it runs along the line of, "racism is a mind virus that infects perspective". I don't know why, but that always stayed with me. I've lived in rough places where I was the certainly the minority and would always lean on that phrase when someone was talking s*** and being racially verbose towards me.

Vientomas 11-21-2020 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcteague (Post 2833069)

Tim

Please don't include me in your generalization. I am an American and I am not racist.

BobbyJones 11-21-2020 12:08 PM

Does anyone remember that relevant song from Avenue Q?

William 11-21-2020 12:13 PM

I have lived in a number of places growing up where I was the minority. I have best friends from all professional, blue collar, and ethnic backgounds. I have seen racism first hand directed at friends, and I have experienced it directed at me. In my personal experience, I saw a lot more overt racism back in the late 60's and into the seventies as a kid then I do today. This is just obsevations from my own experiences as well as those of my friends. I am not saying it doesn't exist today, unfortunately it will always exist to some extent. That's the reality of the "other" or "different" that some people can't get past.

Having lived in many different places and met and interacted with people from many walks of life, I agree with MLK...go by the content of people's character, not the color of their skin. Great people exist from all ethnic backgrounds, and unfortunately A-holes do as well.

W.

mcteague 11-21-2020 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vientomas (Post 2833428)
Please don't include me in your generalization. I am an American and I am not racist.

Have you met many who admit they are? What I am saying is that slavery stained our country in ways most have never come to grips with. There are so many doors opened to white people that are assumed open to everyone. Overt racists should be denounced. The rest maybe should reflect how Americans who don’t look like them are not always treated the same or given the same opportunities. Saying the election of a black man as president or pointing out a successful business person of color shows we are beyond racism betrays a narrow perspective. If you grew up in the US you can’t help being a part of it. The more we acknowledge it the sooner we can figure out ways to fix it. iMO....of course.

Tim

Clean39T 11-21-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcteague (Post 2833455)
What I am saying is that slavery stained our country in ways most have never come to grips with. There are so many doors opened to white people that are assumed open to everyone. Overt racists should be denounced. The rest maybe should reflect how Americans who don’t look like them are not always treated the same or given the same opportunities. Saying the election of a black man as president or pointing out a successful business person of color shows we are beyond racism betrays a narrow perspective. If you grew up in the US you can’t help being a part of it. The more we acknowledge it the sooner we can figure out ways to fix it. iMO....of course.

Tim

Well said Tim, and I think Ama's experience at Roubaix as a junior underscores this is not an uniquely American problem. The whole world needs more empathy and understanding. Tribalism is baked into our culture. It is going to take a lot of work to evolve beyond it. Listening to the experience of those who are hurt by it is a great first step.

Vientomas 11-21-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcteague (Post 2833455)
Have you met many who admit they are? What I am saying is that slavery stained our country in ways most have never come to grips with. There are so many doors opened to white people that are assumed open to everyone. Overt racists should be denounced. The rest maybe should reflect how Americans who don’t look like them are not always treated the same or given the same opportunities. Saying the election of a black man as president or pointing out a successful business person of color shows we are beyond racism betrays a narrow perspective. If you grew up in the US you can’t help being a part of it. The more we acknowledge it the sooner we can figure out ways to fix it. iMO....of course.

Tim

Again, you cast a broad generalization. You know nothing about me. I am not a part of racism. Your continuted assertion that I am is offensive. I have no control over what other people think or do, racist or otherwise. Your post is a prime example. Please stop.