The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Oakley helmets anyone? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=219535)

jmoore 03-20-2018 10:42 AM

New Oakley helmets anyone?

I tried on the new Oakley helmets this weekend. Super comfortable and fit perfectly on my melon. The ARO3 was the one I was liking the most.

Anyone have any longer term experience with them?

OtayBW 03-20-2018 11:23 AM

Looks like a mushroom!! :eek: :bike: :hello:

benb 03-20-2018 11:33 AM

Interesting.. I wonder who is making these since Oakley is essentially a Luxottica brand name like all the other glasses these days.

IME the glasses are kind of junk since they were acquired so I'd be reluctant to try anything else from them. Looks like the helmets have Luxottica level pricing too.

jmoore 03-20-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benb (Post 2333639)
Interesting.. I wonder who is making these since Oakley is essentially a Luxottica brand name like all the other glasses these days.

IME the glasses are kind of junk since they were acquired so I'd be reluctant to try anything else from them. Looks like the helmets have Luxottica level pricing too.

They aren't cheap, that's for sure. But the one I tried on fit great. I was impressed with the quality. Reminded me of a POC a little bit.

benb 03-20-2018 01:01 PM

Maybe it was a POC.

zap 03-20-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benb (Post 2333639)

Indeed. The Luxottica (Oakley) sun glasses I purchased 2 years ago have been nothing but problematic shortly after I received them.

Luxoticca is too be avoided.

BdaGhisallo 03-20-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap (Post 2333686)
Indeed. The Luxottica (Oakley) sun glasses I purchased 2 years ago have been nothing but problematic shortly after I received them.

Luxoticca is too be avoided.

What brands do they not make these days?

Bostic 03-20-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo (Post 2333688)

I just got some OVVO Carbon Fiber glasses with prescription transition lenses. Silly light and comfortable. I already have some Oakley Crosslink's but they are heavy (and Luxoticca) to wear all day.

zzy 03-20-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo (Post 2333688)

Maui Jim is a good one.

zap 03-20-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzy (Post 2333715)
Maui Jim is a good one.

What I very recently purchased for cycling to replace those Oakley'. Received them in 2 days (w Maui's best prescription lenses) too so I was able to resume cycling pronto.

Third pair of Maui Jim's.........all still in use.

m4rk540 03-20-2018 03:22 PM

What are the issues you boys are having with your Oakley sunglasses. Based on what I've seen in the field the lenses are more scratch resistant and the polypropylene frames are more durable now.

parris 03-20-2018 03:51 PM

I think Rudy Project, Vuarnet, and Bolle aren't owned by Luxotica as well. Just remembered Smith also

zap 03-21-2018 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4rk540 (Post 2333782)
What are the issues you boys are having with your Oakley sunglasses. Based on what I've seen in the field the lenses are more scratch resistant and the polypropylene frames are more durable now.

Within 3 months of receipt, both prescription Oakley lenses delaminated. Received the second set (warranty) and again, within 3 months one lens delaminated. My Eye Doctor tried to order another lens but Luxottica said they were no longer under warranty as the frame (Oakley Tincan) was discontinued.

Many retailers I've spoken too recently (during search for a replacement) no longer deal with Luxottica.

DreaminJohn 03-21-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zap (Post 2334101)

Many retailers I've spoken too recently (during search for a replacement) no longer deal with Luxottica.

I generally enroll in my Firm's Eye plan every other year or so. When I got new glasses I was told EyeMed was bought by Luxottica. So they literally get you comin' and goin'.

ojingoh 03-21-2018 01:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUiWOGv8ec