The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Braze-on vs Clamp-on (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=213806)

TunaAndBikes 11-21-2017 03:27 PM

Braze-on vs Clamp-on

I just broke my front derailleur and it needs replacement
I already have one of those thingamagigs to allow the use of a braze-on without a braze-on from Problem Solvers, but as I need a new derailleur, is there any advantage to go clamp-on?
I should probably mention it's a CX70 top pull derailleur.

johnniecakes 11-21-2017 03:38 PM

I prefer to use a braze on derailleur with a separate band clamp because it is much simpler mount the chain drop preventer with the same bolt that attaches the derailleur to the band clamp. Plus a band clamp is cheaper that another derailleur if/when I move things around.

dave thompson 11-21-2017 04:41 PM

I’ve got a box full of various brand/sized derailleur clamps so I can mount most any derailleur to any bike. Saves a buttload of money over (disadvantage) having to buy a specific sized derailleur to fit a bike.

AngryScientist 11-21-2017 04:43 PM

howd you break the FD anyway, that's not too common of an item to bust?

TunaAndBikes 11-21-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2266674)
howd you break the FD anyway, that's not too common of an item to bust?

I was pedaling along and kaplow, chain suck. I got it unravelled but it derailed. Trying to get it back on as per usual (eg; pushing the chain back on the larger gear), it just ripped open my derailleur.
The derailleur was already out of whack, it had been bent a few times beforehand, so I guess it was just the final straw.

If ya'll have tips and tricks to not bust derailleurs, I'm open to comments, i'm a pretty amateur mechanic

oliver1850 11-21-2017 11:44 PM

I prefer to use clamp-on FDs when possible rather than adapters, just because they generally look a bit nicer. Not a major point for me, but clamp-on probably saves a few grams.

oldpotatoe 11-22-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes (Post 2266630)
I already have one of those thingamagigs to allow the use of a braze-on without a braze-on from Problem Solvers, but as I need a new derailleur, is there any advantage to go clamp-on?

Nope

NoMoreParagon 11-22-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TunaAndBikes (Post 2266630)

Braze on is aesthetically more pleasant (less clunk on the seat tube), however is not as stiff as a clamp on. Certain builders are not offering braze on beceause of poor shifting, especially when you using electronic FD.
I had both and have to admit clamp on resulted in better shifting.

gt eunuch 11-22-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon (Post 2266885)
Braze on is aesthetically more pleasant (less clunk on the seat tube), however is not as stiff as a clamp on. Certain builders are not offering braze on beceause of poor shifting, especially when you using electronic FD.
I had both and have to admit clamp on resulted in better shifting.

For what it's worth, I had a Marinoni that was built in the mid 90's and I actually had trouble getting the FD low enough in it's braze on mount for a 6800 fd and a 52t ring. Another negative for braze on in my opinion.

guyintense 11-22-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 2266832)
I prefer to use clamp-on FDs when possible rather than adapters, just because they generally look a bit nicer. Not a major point for me, but clamp-on probably saves a few grams.

I'm with Mark on this one plus I think the clamp-on is stiffer.

David Tollefson 11-22-2017 10:30 AM

Clamp-on. 'Cause when ya wanna go 1x, you don't want extra danglies.

cribbit 11-22-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Tollefson (Post 2266959)
Clamp-on. 'Cause when ya wanna go 1x, you don't want extra danglies.

I think OP is talking about using a braze on FD with an adapter to make it clamp, rather than a frame with a braze on.

I would definitely avoid buying a frame that took braze on FD's. Limits your future FD choices.

I would definitely rather use a braze on FD with an adapter than a straight clamp. Can change adapters to use on other size frames, can put the FD on braze on frames if needed. Way more versatile.