The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   our Lord God Eddy Merckx, gets pacemaker :( (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=126901)

MattTuck 03-27-2013 08:14 AM

our Lord God Eddy Merckx, gets pacemaker :(

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merc...with-pacemaker

Did this come up already? If so, I missed it and apologize.

Hope he's doing ok.

BumbleBeeDave 03-27-2013 09:14 AM

I thought . . .

. . . he was already THE Pacemaker? :rolleyes:

BBD

mike p 03-27-2013 10:49 AM

I'm always amazed how many pro athletes go through their entire career with undiagnosed heart problems al la Pistol Pete!

Mike

Elefantino 03-27-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave (Post 1319604)
. . . he was already THE Pacemaker? :rolleyes:

BBD

No. Samuel Colt invented the Peacemaker.
:)

FlashUNC 03-27-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elefantino (Post 1319735)
No. Samuel Colt invented the Peacemaker.
:)

http://www.impawards.com/1997/posters/peacemaker.jpg

redir 03-27-2013 01:27 PM

If they lay him down to rest this Friday and then roll the stone away on Sunday then today's pelaton would be shakin' in their shoes with the pending coming.

victoryfactory 03-27-2013 03:49 PM

Best wishes to Eddy.
In the TDF (1969 I think) he won all three jerseys!
Yikes!

One of a kind.

Grant McLean 03-27-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike p (Post 1319663)
I'm always amazed how many pro athletes go through their entire career with undiagnosed heart problems

In the general population too.

-g

saab2000 03-27-2013 08:30 PM

Folks should be happy he's getting the help he needs. It will probably extend his life and improve his quality of life. What's not to like about that?

MattTuck 03-27-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saab2000 (Post 1319970)
Folks should be happy he's getting the help he needs. It will probably extend his life and improve his quality of life. What's not to like about that?

I'm assuming you are referencing the sad face. That wasn't so suggest I wasn't happy he was getting the treatment he needed, but more to signal that I'm sorry he's having medical issues in the first place and that I hope he's going to heal up good.

Maybe this is part of a secret project to come out of retirement and beat Sagan.... we can rebuild him, we have the technology.

rwsaunders 03-27-2013 09:06 PM

I've been reading Eddy Merckx 525 and I believe they mention the heart irregularities found in a medical check up a few years back. What he was able to do as a cyclist is still almost beyond comprehension.

saab2000 03-27-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTuck (Post 1319974)
I'm assuming you are referencing the sad face. That wasn't so suggest I wasn't happy he was getting the treatment he needed, but more to signal that I'm sorry he's having medical issues in the first place and that I hope he's going to heal up good.

Maybe this is part of a secret project to come out of retirement and beat Sagan.... we can rebuild him, we have the technology.

It's all good. I met Eddy Merckx once. He's the Eddy Merckx of cycling, if you will.... I spent about 45-60 minutes with him, chatting about racing and his business and my own ambitions in the sport. I was about 23. I'm sure he saw right through me but he never let on. What a gentleman. He gave me a pretty in depth tour of his factory in 1991. Good stuff.

I have nothing but kudos for this man. He is the greatest champion this sport has ever seen and when you meet him in person you'd think he's the guy next door. Absolutely down to earth. This doesn't mean he doesn't know his place in the sport but it means he never let his achievements change his fundamental characters of being a good human being. I wish every sports champion could be like Eddy Merckx.

Living legend and super nice guy to boot. What's not to like?

metalheart 03-27-2013 09:45 PM

Very well said

Quote:

Originally Posted by saab2000 (Post 1319983)
It's all good. I met Eddy Merckx once. He's the Eddy Merckx of cycling, if you will.... I spent about 45-60 minutes with him, chatting about racing and his business and my own ambitions in the sport. I was about 23. I'm sure he saw right through me but he never let on. What a gentleman. He gave me a pretty in depth tour of his factory in 1991. Good stuff.

I have nothing but kudos for this man. He is the greatest champion this sport has ever seen and when you meet him in person you'd think he's the guy next door. Absolutely down to earth. This doesn't mean he doesn't know his place in the sport but it means he never let his achievements change his fundamental characters of being a good human being. I wish every sports champion could be like Eddy Merckx.

Living legend and super nice guy to boot. What's not to like?

RFC 03-28-2013 01:07 AM

So, with Lance discredited, both in terms of doping and behavior, the latter being most crucial IMHO, is Eddy the greatest cyclist of all time?

54ny77 03-28-2013 01:21 AM

define "greatest."

winningest pro, most likely yes.

but "greatest?" well, he got popped on more than one occasion for whatever was de riguer in his day. probably not the stigma attached to that as today, but still....

let's be realistic. the "greatest" title might only be suitably reserved for him by his son and family, not as cyclist but as father, as it should be.

to the rest of the world, he was among the, if not *the* best or most winnigest, well-rounded cyclist of the modern era.

hardly "our lord god."