The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help-man down (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=293504)

gasman 03-13-2023 05:51 PM

Help-man down

NO, I dididn't crash but on May 23rd last year I was hiking solo in northeast Oregon1/2 hour when some other hikers came along I was airlifted toWalla Walla then to Spokane WashingtoIgot clot dissolving drugs but I completely paralyzed on my left-my left leg works little but my left arm has no function yet.I can't ride and can barely walk with support. Iwould like to see if anybody has a great idea for return of function or if anbody has had a similar stroke and now you're recovered.let me hear your storyIf you just want to throw out a friendly hi, that would be nice

Louis 03-13-2023 06:01 PM

Sorry to hear that, G-man.

I have no medical advice to offer, other than my best wishes and hopes that things look up for you in the future.

lavi 03-13-2023 06:06 PM

Damn Gasman! That really sucks. I'm sorry that happened, and I'm happy you are still with us.

I've got nothing to offer aside from hoping for a full recovery for you!

reuben 03-13-2023 06:06 PM

As a solo hiker myself, I wish you the very best. I'm sorry that I can't offer any medical advice.

R3awak3n 03-13-2023 06:14 PM

Wish I had some good advice. Hope a full recover rather quick!

AngryScientist 03-13-2023 06:22 PM

Damn Dave, I didnt realize that it had been that long. Hang in there, and keep fighting. I know a good friend of mine had a stroke several years ago and was forced to quit his job. He says he keep getting better every day, but very slowly. As long as the progress is forward, it's good, even slowly.

clyde the point 03-13-2023 06:26 PM

Hang in there bro we are all pulling for you!

Blue Jays 03-13-2023 06:30 PM

Hang in there, gasman. I wish I had meaningful medical thoughts to suggest.
As we await a Paceliner with that expertise…I am hopeful for full recovery soon.

gbcoupe 03-13-2023 06:34 PM

My father was lucky to receive quick medical attention after his stroke. 24 hours and now 15 years later, you can hardly tell. That 1st 12 hours was scary as hell though. Thought he was done.

Good that you did get help and are here to talk about it. Keep pushing on!

Ralph 03-13-2023 06:35 PM

Is that something a specially trained PT person could help with? Good luck with your recovery.

Clean39T 03-13-2023 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasman (Post 3224842)
NO, I dididn't crash but on May 23rd last year I was hiking solo in northeast Oregon1/2 hour when some other hikers came along I was airlifted toWalla Walla then to Spokane WashingtoIgot clot dissolving drugs but I completely paralyzed on my left-my left leg works little but my left arm has no function yet.I can't ride and can barely walk with support. Iwould like to see if anybody has a great idea for return of function or if anbody has had a similar stroke and now you're recovered.let me hear your storyIf you just want to throw out a friendly hi, that would be nice

Wishing you all the best - I don't know anything about what you're going through, but I do believe that Rob English is quite adept with adaptations for folks and may have some ideas or advice as you're ready for it.. plus he's a heckuva nice guy and local to you.

earlfoss 03-13-2023 06:39 PM

I wish for you the best. My advice is to do a lot of reading and ask a lot of questions. If they are telling you something that doesn't sound right, don't take it as gospel. Ask, ask, ask, and if you have to get pushy do it. The healthcare system can be a pain and you should be prepared to advocate for yourself and your care. I have had to navigate it too many times in recent years and have learned this by firsthand experience.

jimcav 03-13-2023 06:51 PM

my dad had similar

not quite as bad. He rehabbed for a year and got 60-70% better. He was an avid runner, and could only walk. Where he lived in Indiana top notch rehab was limited.

I read an article, I think in New Yorker, and it mentioned a book about a guy who had a severe stroke, and relearned to walk, literally as he learned initially--he crawled, then toddled, then walked. The idea was doing that forced the brain's plasticity in rewiring function. I'm sorry I do not remember the name of it, but hopefully you can find it.

I wish you the best in recovery

charliedid 03-13-2023 06:56 PM

Nothing but prayers for you Dave and I don't really pray. I wish I had more help for you.

Turkle 03-13-2023 07:11 PM

First of all, super glad you made it out of there alive, and that you're in a position to think about recovery.

At some point, while rehabbing from an injury, I asked my physical therapist, "how much of my recovery do I actually have control over?" She looked at me for a while, eventually shook her head, and told me, "if I'm being honest, not as much as you think." So much is out of our hands - genetics, past levels of fitness, the nature of our injury / health issue, etc. etc. All we can do is put in the work, the extra 5% or so that we do have control over, and hope we can trust in our bodies and nature to take care of the rest.

My most sincere best wishes for a strong recovery for you.