The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   30 for 30 Lance part 2. Any changes? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=252806)

bikinchris 05-31-2020 09:00 PM

30 for 30 Lance part 2. Any changes?

Has the second part of 30 for 30 Lance part 2 made ANY difference in your opinion of Lance?

I saw a huge correlation between him and Michael Jordan in how they thought about their competition.

Spdntrxi 05-31-2020 09:03 PM

no change.. to me he's still 7x winner of TDF

FlashUNC 05-31-2020 09:08 PM

Did he apologize to Betsy and Greg?

Did he apologize to Paul Kimmage?

Did he not seem like a pathological liar and narcissist?

If not, then no, probably not.

Tony T 05-31-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2730659)
Did he apologize to Betsy and Greg?

Did he apologize to Paul Kimmage?

Did he not seem like a pathological liar and narcissist?

If not, then no, probably not.

Somehow, i don’t believe you that those apologies, if given, would change your opinion of Lance Armstrong.

FlashUNC 05-31-2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T (Post 2730663)
Somehow, i don’t believe you that those apologies, if given, would change your opinion of Lance Armstrong.

At this point, no, you're probably right, seeing as the man seems incapable of anything approximating contrition and understanding how he hurt other people.

But showing even basic human empathy and not, say, apologizing the way he did in the Oprah interview would be a first step.

Tony T 05-31-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashUNC (Post 2730666)
At this point, no, you're probably right, seeing as the man seems incapable of anything approximating contrition and understanding how he hurt other people.

But showing even basic human empathy and not, say, apologizing the way he did in the Oprah interview would be a first step.

He has a lot of empathy for cancer patients, and gave a lot of his time to people suffering.
But you believe that he only used the LA foundation for “cover”.

Be fair, there is nothing that would change your opinion.

peanutgallery 05-31-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spdntrxi (Post 2730654)
no change.. to me he's still -7 winner of TDF

Fixed it for you, he's in the red when it comes to the Tour

Tony T 05-31-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Agreed.

wc1934 05-31-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Is he? What record books are you referencing? I can't find his name - I see Greg Lemond, but dont see LA.

Alaska Mike 05-31-2020 10:32 PM

My opinion of him is lower.

He's not a victim.

sailorboy 05-31-2020 10:32 PM

I know seeing a few pieces of a TV interview with someone doesn't mean you know them, but Anna Hansen seems like a pretty genuine person, nice, smart, attractive.

Couldn't she do better?

FlashUNC 05-31-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T (Post 2730674)
He has a lot of empathy for cancer patients, and gave a lot of his time to people suffering.
But you believe that he only used the LA foundation for “cover”.

Be fair, there is nothing that would change your opinion.

He may very well have, but all of that was ruined the second he insinuated he'd never dope because it would be a betrayal to those people. He sold them a bill of goods just like everyone else that was a fiction.

What would change my opinion? Retiring from public life and going to help cancer patients without a camera crew around.

The comparison I make is Michael Vick. The guy is still working with ASPCA and Humane Society groups today, even after retiring. Do you see it plastered on ESPN? No. But the guy make a horrible mistake, and has done a lot of good work atoning for it.

Lance, as always, is all about Lance. This ESPN special is no different and yet another attempt to rehab the image.

Spdntrxi 05-31-2020 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wc1934 (Post 2730687)
Is he? What record books are you referencing? I can't find his name - I see Greg Lemond, but dont see LA.

you dont have to like it or like him... I'm still a greg fan.

I watched all 7 of them bicycle races on TV.. he won.

Alaska Mike 05-31-2020 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T (Post 2730674)
But you believe that he only used the LA foundation for “cover”

Lance profited financially from Livestrong/LA Foundation. I don't doubt it started as an altruistic movement at its genesis, but he used it both as a shield from criticism and a profit center over the years. It was a tool at his disposal, and he used it like he used EPO.

Again, Lance is not a victim.

pdmtong 06-01-2020 01:11 AM

30 for 30 Lance part 2. Any changes

Part 2 much more insightful than Part 1

Would have been nice to have more commentary from other people and less -7