The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Clarification & apology re: I called Serotta today thread. (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=1481)

Kurt 03-12-2004 11:21 AM

Clarification & apology re: I called Serotta today thread.

I was reading some of the posts on the thread and I think some folks may have misunderstood my situation.

My intention was not to discredit either my LBS or Serotta, which the thread seems to do.

I like my LBS quite a bit – the shop is Sundance and they sell Calfee, Seven, Serotta, Lemond, etc and have a nice range of high end products to suit a savvy customer. It is very well run and clean and they seem to do a pretty fair job concerning fit. They are busy, but when your number comes up, you get 100%.

I believe a mistake happened in sizing my CSi almost 4 years ago – too long a tt and too short a stem. This combo distributed my weight in a negative fashion over the bike and a wobble would occur on fast descents. I believe there should be a baseline parameter that on a larger frame it must use a longer stem. Because I was a newer rider and scared of going downhill much past 25, I never noticed the problem. When I started doing fast rides and racing on the frame years later it was obvious there was a problem.

I hung the bike up for over a year and rode something else, but missed having a nice riding frame for longer journeys – now 4 years later serotta is trying to take care of me the best they can and really going the distance to make me happy. I really credit Ben for his efforts.

I am perturbed that someone on one or both ends dropped the ball with my frame order, but I do not want this to taint how I overall feel about my LBS and serotta.
I do not want free or discounted merchandise, I just want my frame.

I am just trying to take the high road here, the frame will get here sooner or later and I am sure I will enjoy it. We all make mistakes.

Kurt

dirtdigger88 03-12-2004 11:25 AM

the high road is always so much better, the down hills are to die for.

Well said Kurt

Jason

Needs Help 03-12-2004 12:54 PM

Hi,

I'm curious about the wobble problem you were having. What size frame is it and what size stem? Also, what conclusions have you reached from from your problem and redesign?

Jack Brunk 03-12-2004 01:42 PM

Kurt,

Instead of the frame sizing being done wrong, could it have been that the frame was designed for you based on your physical dimensions at the time. Maybe you lost some weight since then and that has had a dramatic effect on the way the bike handles now. Just a thought.

Jack

Kurt 03-12-2004 04:29 PM

good thought

if I lost weight then the frame should handle better, no? I will stand by my too long a tt and too short a stem theory - hey in two weeks everyone will know if I am right or not. I bet I will love the new frame. I am with the Jerk on this one, long stems add stability. That is not the only issue because hands free the frame can wobble, that is the tt talking. First week in april all ?'s will be answered.

Needs Help 03-12-2004 11:15 PM

Kurt,

Can you give me some advice??

I'm curious about the wobble problem you were having. What size frame is it and what size stem? What size frame and stem on your new frame?

I have a 59cm frame with a 14cm stem, and it starts shimmying live Elvis at about 45 mph.

Needs Help 03-15-2004 03:44 AM

...anyone, anyone, Buehler?

Climb01742 03-15-2004 07:54 AM

go 44 mph? :banana:

Ginger 03-15-2004 08:27 AM

No disrespect Needs Help, Just a thought

Way back when, when I was first riding "more" my road bike would shimmy on any descent, practically any speed. Then I started riding a mortocycle and mountain biking and learned a lot about positioning on the bike and bike handling. The shimmy went away except for in the upper 40s which was faster than I cared to go downhill on a bicycle anyhow.

I'm not suggesting learning to ride a mortocycle, or taking up mountain biking, but perhaps spend an hour with a coach to see if its a technique issue? (questioning technique is always a delicate issue...)

Or have you done that already?

Kurt 03-15-2004 11:39 AM

NH

I don't know about my giving advice, so far all I am doing is buying things twice. current CSi 58/59.5/72/73.5/110, OS tubing 41.3 stay. New legend TI is all OS except the seat stay, 55.8/58.5/72/73.5/120/3-degree slope/41.5 stay. If this frame is not perfect, meaning I don't even want to detect a flick @ 47 then ebay it goes and I will try something completely different. On some of this stuff you don't know until you try it out. I am sure I will love the frame. Do you feel right on the frame, meaning do you notice your frame under you?

Quote:

Originally posted by Needs Help
Kurt,

Can you give me some advice??

I'm curious about the wobble problem you were having. What size frame is it and what size stem? What size frame and stem on your new frame?

I have a 59cm frame with a 14cm stem, and it starts shimmying live Elvis at about 45 mph.

Needs Help 03-15-2004 01:33 PM

Ginger,

questioning technique is always a delicate issue...

No worries. I don't have any technique.

However, I feel if you are sitting on the seat and holding the handle bars, the bike should not wobble. I know there are methods for preventing that wobble--like gripping the top tube with your knees--but that seems like a technique to overcome the problem. What I would like is not to have the problem to begin with.

Kurt,

Thanks for the specs.