The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Not good news, part a billion: Stages (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=306236)

yinzerniner 04-23-2024 12:49 PM

Not good news, part a billion: Stages

https://escapecollective.com/stages-...ire-workforce/

Real shame. Seems like they were the only viable option for getting reliable real dual sided power from a Shimano crank. Hope they can get back up and running soon.

EB 04-23-2024 12:52 PM

I was about to ask about the Shimano R9200P and then I saw this:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2023/02/...ingly-bad.html

Likes2ridefar 04-23-2024 12:52 PM

Who’s next?

gravelreformist 04-23-2024 01:03 PM

Sad. Writing has been on the wall for a while now.

4iiii has you covered though for affordable dual-sided Shimano power.

(Shameless plug - I have a dirt cheap one for sale in the classifieds!)

benb 04-23-2024 01:08 PM

Haha.. from reading the DCR comments... Shimano should now buy Stages.

But maybe they would screw that up too.

I have two 8 year old Stages working perfectly.. so no reason to buy anymore. And my Tacx trainer is now ancient and the PM in that is still working perfectly.

But when I make any kind of new groupset decision I'll kind of be out of luck and have to find something new I guess. Shimano doing this almost certainly will push me onto SRAM. I was already leaning that way though as less wires is going to be better on my frame.

Clean39T 04-23-2024 01:27 PM

Sucks that Stages is struggling - but 4iiii, Favero, SRM, and Power2Max are all still solid options..

Turkle 04-23-2024 01:38 PM

I bought a Stages power meter for my new road bike because I have the Stages SB20 indoor bike and I figured it would be easier to just have one app ecosystem to worry about.

Huh!

Hope I can still get service on these things if anything goes wrong!

CAAD 04-23-2024 01:55 PM

I have two left SRAM arms and both have been great. Very consistent number between the two. Was on the lookout for a third to save me from transferring it between my #2 road bike and gravel bike.

benb 04-23-2024 02:13 PM

I guess I would need to look. SRAM isn't a great solution for modernizing my bike either when the time comes. I don't necessarily want to pay for Red, and that's really the best option since I don't have disc brakes.

Shimano seems to have more options I'd just have to figure out the PM. Although technically my existing cranks & PM are 11 speed so I could just do Ultegra electronic.

My other issue is how stiff are the Shimano wires. My frame has the cables enter the head tube.. the stiffness of mechanical cables is annoying there as if I ride no hands the cables actually push the bars and upset the bike. If the wires for electronic are not as stiff as housing then Ultegra or D/A electronic would work.

The SRAM stuff if I had to go to Red kind of just points towards delay and then buy a whole new bike with discs.

SRAM certainly has a lot of options that look pretty affordable to get the crank and PM all at once and be done.

tomato coupe 04-23-2024 02:16 PM

Stages' parking lot has been empty and their doors locked for months. I think they've been effectively shut down for quite a while now.

gravelreformist 04-23-2024 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benb (Post 3376095)
I guess I would need to look. SRAM isn't a great solution for modernizing my bike either when the time comes. I don't necessarily want to pay for Red, and that's really the best option since I don't have disc brakes.

Shimano seems to have more options I'd just have to figure out the PM. Although technically my existing cranks & PM are 11 speed so I could just do Ultegra electronic.

My other issue is how stiff are the Shimano wires. My frame has the cables enter the head tube.. the stiffness of mechanical cables is annoying there as if I ride no hands the cables actually push the bars and upset the bike. If the wires for electronic are not as stiff as housing then Ultegra or D/A electronic would work.

The SRAM stuff if I had to go to Red kind of just points towards delay and then buy a whole new bike with discs.

SRAM certainly has a lot of options that look pretty affordable to get the crank and PM all at once and be done.

12 speed Shimano uses wireless shifters. The only wires are from the battery to the derailleur(s).

.RJ 04-23-2024 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benb (Post 3376095)

Rotor has a nice PM crankset that allows you to reuse your existing shimano chainrings.

prototoast 04-23-2024 02:49 PM

I have a few stages power meters, and they've been fine, but there are enough other good options out there in the market that I'm not particularly sad over this loss.

mtb_frk 04-23-2024 03:00 PM

Well i guess Im not surprised. I bought the SB20 also when they were on sale last year. Joined the SB20 facebook group and it sounded like after the sale, if you needed any support/tech help there was one person working it if that. If any it was very slow. In Europe people seemed to have better luck for whatever reason. I guess Im happy only paid like $1400 for the bike and not full price.

rnhood 04-23-2024 03:13 PM

My 4iiii on Ultegra crankset works flawlessly. As "Clean39T" said, there are some good alternatives out there.