The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I am not a groader (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=217537)

weisan 02-08-2018 11:42 AM

I am not a groader

I finally caught the flu bug that's been floating around here for some time. Been missing work and fading in and out of naps during day time. I like naps but these types of naps actually makes me feel worse when I wake up, go figure.

Anyway, that's not the purpose nor the topic of this thread. I brought it up just because I want to give you the context of what happened two days ago.

So a pal here posted a link to the DiamondBack Haanjo EXP Carbon and requested if anyone is willing to help him purchase that bike that is on sale and ship it up to Canada. I responded but later he said he doesn't need the help anymore. Too late! Because, obviously, I went and checked out the bike myself.
Oooo....uuuu....bad decision. That was mistake #1.

http://alicehui.com/bike/misc/dianmondback.jpg

It's got two things that I was looking that's been missing in my gravel bikes.

Fat(ter) tire clearance - can accommodate 650b X 48 or 700 X 45
Light(er) weight - 20 pounds +-

So, in a moment of weakness (*I am sick, remember?) I decided to jump in and order one for myself. Mistake #2

It's in transit shipping at the moment, looks like it will get here tomorrow.
While waiting, I keep checking out all the online reviews and youtube videos on the Haanjo EXP Carbon. As it stands, everybody seems to love it.
Check out this youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BlhFFTFZzk

I was trying to reinforce and justify my purchase decision.

The truth of the matter is: That WAS a MISTAKE.

Here's why?

I looked back at my track record this past year. Over a span of 12 months, I have done one...EXACTLY ONE...gravel ride. That was a reality check.
The rest of the time, I preferred to be on my road bikes and on smooth, nice, paved, quiet country roads. And that's not for the lack of good gravel roads around here. I am really just not into it.

As much as I get excited every time I made a trip up to do D2R2 - I have done it twice so far. Really, the part I enjoyed the most is the company of friends and for that, i am willing to "tolerate" the gravel. Yes! - tolerate!
:D

Oh well, I called DiamondBack customer line earlier, they were quite nice about it. "Just refuse the package when it gets to your house and everything will be taken care of."

To Diamondback's credit, they did everything right. They created a killer gravel bike that checks all my boxes. They offered it at an attractive price. They made the whole ordering process seamless and easy. They are paying for shipping both ways....no questions asked.

I almost felt bad and wanted to keep the bike.

nah.....let's wait six months to a year, maybe some pal here will sell their Haanjo for half that price, then maybe we can revisit the matter. :rolleyes: :p :hello:

Thanks for listening.

I am going to take a nap....

wooly 02-08-2018 11:48 AM

Weis Pal, I came to the same conclusion last year. I had romantic thoughts of taking my Salsa on some "epic" rides but ended up taking my full suspension bike on those. Missed the zip of a road bike so got rid of the salsa and got my peg. Not regretting it a bit. And don't miss road disc brakes either here in So Cal. :banana:

CSKeller 02-08-2018 11:57 AM

Hope you feel better soon Weisan pal!

I too have been oscillating back and forth about getting a gravel/CX bike. It is difficult to justify since I enjoy road riding too much. I have an old 26" mtn bike, a Yeti 575, that I love. I look to the newer Yetis and Pivots but I just don't ride mtn bikes that much. I enjoy it but always fall back to road riding.

In fact, I just signed up for Ride the Rockies again...it will be # 12 for me this year. It is a great way to see the great state of Colorado, meet some great people and enjoy the ride.

chiasticon 02-08-2018 12:09 PM

I'm not a gravel rider either. I enjoy it a lot when the road is flat-ish or going uphill. I lack the nerve for downhill riding though. we just don't have enough gravel locally (unless I drive 45 mins or so) for me to gain that experience and confidence. and certainly not the need for a dedicated bike for it then.

it's a bummer, really, as it's an excellent form of riding. gravel/dirt roads mean very few cars and the road's all yours.

FlashUNC 02-08-2018 12:26 PM

I gave it a year, just not my cuppa.

Tickdoc 02-08-2018 12:47 PM

nah, you are just guilty of drinkin the kool-aide.

I'm going to dirty Kanza this year and I've never ridden gravel (on purpose, at least:). I'm participating as a pit crew for a friend who is riding. I get free beer and he gets support when needed.

Might as well give it a try and see if you like it when it shows up!

benb 02-08-2018 12:51 PM

I am not one to try and influence people to buy extra bikes but maybe that bike was “the one” and would have made things enjoyable to the point you got into the whole gravel thing in a big way.

I’m probably vaguely in the territory as you. Groad is stuck in the middle for me due to where I ride. The road part is almost always more fun on a race style bike and as soon as the pavement ends a MTB quickly becomes more fun than the gravel bike.

A really good gravel bike that fit me really well could change that equation though.

beeatnik 02-08-2018 01:42 PM

Gravel riding, it's kind of like driving from Malibu to Watts looking for some good hardcourt b-ball. Adding an unnecessary layer of complexity and possibly danger for the sake of perceived adventure.

Ya, I do it about twice yearly.

spoonrobot 02-08-2018 01:46 PM

The technical skills and fitness required to be a good, fast gravel rider are not for everyone. Kudos to Diamondback for working with you to resolve this to your satisfaction.

2metalhips 02-08-2018 01:53 PM

Started gravel riding/groading whatever you want to call it in 2010. One of my best decisions ever, I enjoy it more every time. It hits that sweet spot between mtb and road which I also do. Good for avoiding cars. I understand it's not for everyone but I miss it terribly now with icy roads and trails.

EPOJoe 02-08-2018 02:43 PM

It’s interesting how ‘gravel grinding’ seems to be a love it or hate it deal. I personally don’t get it, and when I ride off road I use a hard tail mtb. Don’t see how drop bars or road geometry would give any kind of an advantage.

nicrump 02-08-2018 02:50 PM

Maybe I'm not up on what the kids are doing on gravel roads these days but looking at the spec on the med, 70*HTA with a 45mm rake and 430CS length.

Do you ride these down a straight flat road, stop to pick it up, turn it around and ride back?

Ken Robb 02-08-2018 02:58 PM

I think Hampsten gets this right with their Strada Bianca bikes. I think we all know that means "white road" as in crushed limestone. One fine example I have ridden is the Erie Canal Towpath. I rode a R. Sachs cross bike with 700x28 clinchers and it was wonderful on the Path and on the paved roads around it. My MB-3 with 26x2" tires was good on this kind of surface also. When I ride gravel with rocks that are 1.5" and bigger I want my FS bike with 2.25" tires.

My Rivendell Rambouillet can fit 700x35 tires (maybe bigger?) so it works well on Strada Bianca too.

Tall 02-08-2018 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPOJoe (Post 2310392)
It’s interesting how ‘gravel grinding’ seems to be a love it or hate it deal. I personally don’t get it, and when I ride off road I use a hard tail mtb. Don’t see how drop bars or road geometry would give any kind of an advantage.

I'd say I'm somewhere in between. My take on gravel riding is that the main reason why I'm interested in gravel riding is that gravel roads by and large tend to be more scenic and have less car traffic. But here in south-central Wisconsin we also have tons of paved roads that check those boxes, and I'll happily take the pavement over gravel in that case. What I truly don't enjoy are really rough gravel roads where I have too focus too much on the road and can't enjoy the scenery.

R3awak3n 02-08-2018 03:05 PM

you dodged a bullet haha. But seriously I barely use my gravel bike too. I still want to have it because the few times I use it, its awesome.

Like someone said, thats why a bike like the strada bianca is so good. Great on the road and good on light gravel which lets be honest, is what most people are ridding when they say, I was ridding gravel.