The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   considering a new frame (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=202098)

ntb1001 03-18-2017 06:16 PM

considering a new frame

I'm just starting to think about a new frame and would like some input from forum members.
I just sold my steel Pinarello Vuelta to another formite and now I'm toying with the idea of a modern steel replacement.
I loved my Pinarello but I didn't ride it much...it was just a sunny day nice ride kind of bike for me.
I was thinking of replacing a carbon frame with a modern steel frame.
I will want to hang Campy Record EPS on it.
I now have to decide on frame material and builder.
I have in mind steel, stainless(xcr), or maybe titainium.
I contacted Carl Strong, he suggests Titainium or regular modern steel over XCR, although he will build with it if I want.
if I get regular steel...I'm also considering Marinoni....Priuma Supreme.

So....what to consider??

Titainium..such as Strong??
or his steel frames.

or if steel....Marinoni???

and....what does anybody think of stainless such as XCR???

I really would like the bike to be a modern bike with a weight that is closer to carbon than my old Pinarello.
I am only hesitant to Ti because I have had a Litespeed Classic years ago and I liked carbon better when I switched..Carl Strong says modern Ti is way better than the older stuff.

need comments and opinions.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

weisan 03-18-2017 06:37 PM

I would listen to Carl pal...or whoever you chose to build your bike ultimately. You are paying for their advice and expertise.

Personally, I have the privilege of owning both modern steel and 20-30 year old classic bikes like Rivendell and Eddy Merckx. I like them both.

SPOKE 03-18-2017 07:01 PM

Other option.....

Dave Kirk Onesto.......you'll absolutely love it!!!!:banana::banana:

Lanternrouge 03-18-2017 07:36 PM

If this helps at all, I don't need anything, but I think often of a TI Carl Strong joining my stable. I don't think you can go wrong with anything by either him or Marinoni, but I would go with all the builder's recommendations.

fogrider 03-18-2017 08:36 PM

the question in my mind is what are you looking for in your ride? its seems like there are so many options for modern bikes...disc brakes, larger tires, electronic shifting...in general a stainless steel bike still rides like steel. if you're gonna stay on pavement, I would stay with steel. if you're going see dirt and gravel, I would consider ti.

Jeff N. 03-18-2017 08:40 PM

Firefly, if you don't mind a long wait.

OtayBW 03-19-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntb1001 (Post 2144345)
I contacted Carl Strong, he suggests Titainium or regular modern steel over XCR, although he will build with it if I want.

I'm wondering what the rationale was for this comment about modern steel vs stainless - performance issue or just the builder's preference?

Hilltopperny 03-19-2017 08:17 AM

Modern titanium is light and responsive with its oversized tubes. I personally loved my old serotta ti bike with a 1" head tube for longer rides, but my modern ti bike does feel more responsive, can be built up lighter and still with a comfortable ride. I prefer it to my carbon bike, but you can't go wrong with modern steel which I prefer over everything.

Mikej 03-19-2017 08:24 AM

SS was never a legitimate choice- sorry I said it- ti rules - sorry, I said that too.

jghall 03-19-2017 09:12 AM

Lots of great builders out there. Strong, Kirk, Desalvo, etc. Both modern steel and modern ti can be made into an excellent ride in the hands of a good builder.

oldpotatoe 03-19-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OtayBW (Post 2144512)
I'm wondering what the rationale was for this comment about modern steel vs stainless - performance issue or just the builder's preference?

Jumping in..I had a stainless steel Waterford, and even tho 3 times the $..it rode like a.....

steel bike. I couldn't tell any difference between it and a R-22(lugged steel frame, both) I had.

Not sure the differences in performance(none?) justifies the added $. For that $, get a titanium frame.

AngryScientist 03-19-2017 09:20 AM

first off, if i was an electronic shifting guy, there is no way i would buy a big dollar campy or shimano electronic group right now.

the people have spoken and sram's wireless group is pretty well loved. campy and shimano will follow shortly with wireless groups.

unless you have no concern for cost, need something very specific, or are a bizarre sized human, buying new titanium is a tough sell IMO. the cost for a new Ti frame from a reputable builder is very very high compared to what gently used titanium is selling for. just something to consider.

also - marinoni makes an awesome frame for a fantastic value.

kohlboto 03-19-2017 09:22 AM

I really like what Mariposa has been doing lately. And, they are in Toronto.

https://mariposabicycles.ca

And, you are not dealing with a 30% hit on the exchange rate (give or take) that comes with choosing a US frame builder...

OtayBW 03-19-2017 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldpotatoe (Post 2144573)
Jumping in..I had a stainless steel Waterford, and even tho 3 times the $..it rode like a.....

steel bike. I couldn't tell any difference between it and a R-22(lugged steel frame, both) I had.

Not sure the differences in performance(none?) justifies the added $. For that $, get a titanium frame.

And that's my point. Just wondering if Carl S was commenting on steel vs SS from a savings/value perspective, or from performance. I have a SS and an EL-OS myself, and there is a world of difference between them, but I think that's because of a lot of other factors and not corrosion resistance. :)

jghall 03-19-2017 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OtayBW (Post 2144512)

For what it's worth, most of the builders I've spoken to, or worked with, have suggested that s/s is not worth the extra expense. Not that it's not nice, more of a return on the dollar. Somewhat similar to what they have said on straight gauge ti vs. butted ti.