The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Do you ride steel racing frame differently ? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=231378)

l0n3rider 12-05-2018 06:49 PM

Do you ride steel racing frame differently ?

hi ALL,
sorry if this topic was discussed before. Maybe i didn't searched enough ..

anyway .. i recently changed my riding bike to a steel frame. Bixxis Prima to be exact. only the frame is changed. other components were transferred from my previous bike. previously i was riding Legend HT7.5, a carbon frame.

A little bit of background; i started of with Boardman SLR9.0, then moved to Colnago EPS before the Legend ..

so i have been riding carbon frame for almost 7 years ( i started in 2011) .. and recently moved to steel frame, Bixxis Prima.

The change was due to curiosity .. as well as I really like the classic look. I have been riding it for a month now .. and i'm struggling with it

so do we ride steel frame differently? .. i guess i'm struggling to be fast and responsive .. i do not really mind the extra weight .. but it takes more effort to close the gap in peloton and surprisingly .. if i freewheeling during a short descend .. it is noticeably slower than my carbon frame .. i thought the extra weight should give it more speed ..

any advice/tips/tricks on riding steel frame?

weisan 12-05-2018 06:57 PM

This is going to be good!

l0n3rider 12-05-2018 07:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
me and my bike.. i guess i never really introduced myself before

bikinchris 12-05-2018 07:03 PM

The frame is probably not slowing you down. To me, it sounds like you have something else wrong. Like hub adjustment, brake dragging, wheel out of true etc.

sitzmark 12-05-2018 07:15 PM

I've had that feeling/experience when swapping components or setting up a new bike. Has your position on the bike changed? Not likely that the frame itself is slowing you down, but if you're not as comfortable/fluid on the new bike you won't be as efficient as on the old frame. Doesn't take a lot of variance to change the aerodynamics of body position, which can make a significant difference in perceived effort and/or actual performance.

rccardr 12-05-2018 07:50 PM

Why are you using such a long cage derailleur?
Guy pictured in front of you has some huge rear cogs. Why? Where are you riding?
Is the Bixxis the right frame for where you ride and the type of riding you do?

l0n3rider 12-05-2018 08:01 PM

many thanks for the reply so far ..

@bikinchris
the bike is setup by my trusted mechanic .. and he had checked everything. it is unlikely the other components contribute to the issue .. but anyhow i will check again .. thanks

@sitzmark
the fit numbers are a bit different, especially the saddle setback due to the frame geometry .. Legend was a custom geometry frame .. Bixxis is standard geometry with a steeper seat tube angle (i got it 2nd hand) .. however, to me as long as can get my usual pedaling style/technique .. fit numbers are secondary .. since i believe fit numbers are heavily influence by pedaling technique/style .. i could be wrong .. will keep improving my position .. thanks

@rccardr
it is a standard cage for campagnolo sr 11speed .. my largest cog is 29 .. maybe the angle of the photo ..

mtechnica 12-05-2018 08:02 PM

Not all steel frames are made equal. I had a frame made from Reynolds 853 that I eventually grew fed up with because it always felt so sluggish uphill, nice frame with a carbon fork too and it fit and handled well. The carbon frame I replaced it with - same components - blew it out of the water. My SLX Merckx is heavy but doesn’t feel sluggish at all so I think it just depends.

hokoman 12-05-2018 08:02 PM

seat is too high, not aero enough.

:)

Lanternrouge 12-05-2018 08:05 PM

I'd like to see pictures of both the Legend and the Bixxis in the galleries.

rccardr 12-05-2018 08:06 PM

Aha.

I suspect saddle position is the culprit here. Your butt and your femur need to be in the same place relative to the crank center if you expect the same wattage from the same effort. Back in the day, before we got gray hair, us oldsters used to call this 'setback'.

I still pay close attention to it; with 18 bikes in the stable, you gotta make some allowances for different frame designs...

l0n3rider 12-05-2018 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lanternrouge (Post 2465068)
I'd like to see pictures of both the Legend and the Bixxis in the galleries.

here is my previous frame.. legend HT7.5

l0n3rider 12-05-2018 09:02 PM

@mtechnica
.. really hope this is not the case here. i really luv the look of this frame

@hokoman @rccardr
.. thanks. will keep improving my position.. will let u guys know if it improved

all,
i have this input from a friend which has been riding steel frame for a while.. according to him.. steel frame needs to be ride differently.. we need to be more calm.. do not stomp the pedal for power.. but gradually increase your power to increase speed gradually.. do not panic when the gap is opened.. you will close the gap eventually.. steel has momentum.. not fast reaction..

true?

fa63 12-05-2018 09:09 PM

Not really; I close the gaps the same way on my steel frame... Steel does have a more muted ride though, which might make one think that it is slower. That said, all my personal bests have been achieved on a steel frame, so go figure.

Peter P. 12-05-2018 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l0n3rider (Post 2465086)
@mtechnica
@hokoman @rccardr
.. thanks. will keep improving my position.. will let u guys know if it improved

all,
i have this input from a friend which has been riding steel frame for a while.. according to him.. steel frame needs to be ride differently.. we need to be more calm.. do not stomp the pedal for power.. but gradually increase your power to increase speed gradually.. do not panic when the gap is opened.. you will close the gap eventually.. steel has momentum.. not fast reaction..

true?

It's your position?! You need to ride a steel bike differently?!

It's all nonsense and drama!