The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Your first "REAL" road bike? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4638)

William 10-01-2004 06:03 AM

Your first "REAL" road bike?

Sorry if I'm re-hashing something that has already been done. :)

What was your first "real" road-racing bike?

I'm not going to count the Lime Green Schwin Varsity, or the Schucks Monte Carlo, or any of the BMX racers I had. My first "road racing" bike was a 1993 Fuji Roubaix. 63cm, 59-ish TT. 105 equipped with DT shifters. After the first ten miles I chucked the saddle that came with it and tried a few others until I found one that agreed with me. I switched out the original stem and seat post to get the reach and height I needed (Zoom mtb stem & AC mtb post). I also switched out the 175mm 105 crank set for DA 180mm. Other than that I raced it just as you see it. Even though it was a wet noodle when sprinting, it had a nice feel to it and I won a lot races on it. Unfortunately right after this photo was taken, the frame was broken in a crit. In the last corner, someone planted a pedal and caused a major pile up. I was able to avoid the guy who caused it when he slid across the ground in front of me, but I shot off the course into a big Rhododendron bush...ouch!

What was yours?

William

bostondrunk 10-01-2004 06:59 AM

'Dale, I dunno, 1991 I think, 105 dt index, original look clipless. Actually was a really sweet bike! :beer:

pale scotsman 10-01-2004 07:17 AM

I guess besides my Huffy Aerowind, now how many remember that bike, it would have to be the '86 Cannondale R series with Shimano 600, DA down tube shifters and seatpost. A sparkly redish color with yellow benotto tape, yellow toe straps, and yellow cables. This was the first year of SIS and I loved the 'dale. Never noticed it was stiff.

Russell 10-01-2004 07:28 AM

Bianchi Stelvio - early 80s; I think that was the model name. It was a grey bike. Don't remember the components used on it - low/mid level. Good enough for office-park crits.

LegendRider 10-01-2004 07:41 AM

1991 or 92 Trek 2300. Tob tube, down tube and seat tube were carbon and the rear triangle and lugs were aluminum. The aluminum was painted neon yellow with black paint drizzled on it. The bike had 7 speed Ultegra with down tube shifters. I put a Tioga stem and Scott Drop-in bars on it along with a then brand new Flite. It wasn't a bad bike at all...

Bruce K 10-01-2004 07:45 AM

Slightly used Trek 2100 that was 1 size too big.

It did the job ... got me hooked for as long as my legs will last.

BK

coylifut 10-01-2004 08:01 AM

1980 Trek 930

Columbus Sl, all Campy Nouvo-Record, Clement silk sew-ups, Regina D'Oro chain and freewheel, Pink Benotto plastic tape, Cinelli 64 bars and XA stem. I still have it. I rode it yesterday, but now it's a fixed gear.

Spectrum Bob 10-01-2004 08:11 AM

Mine was a mid 70s Bianchi Special Red, down tube friction shifters – rode my first century on it.

djg 10-01-2004 08:12 AM

Let's see ...

I guess I'd count the Gitane Junior Racer I got at the age of 13 ... mystery steel tubing, simplex gearing, and a hard plastic saddle. That was the transition from bombing around on stingrays into something like cycling. Not that there's a darn thing wrong with bombing around on stingrays.

But for racing I'd start in college with a Raleigh I got out of a container that had been destined for France. 1980. 531 pipes and a mix of mostly french componenents. Very light for its day and lively. I added a set of race wheels I bought used. Record high flange hubs laced to fiamme rims. Clement tubbies and it flew. I did my first couple of seasons of racing on that bike--wish I still had it.

OldDog 10-01-2004 08:14 AM

'73 Schwinn "voyaguer", upgraded with first generation Dura Ace('74?) Then in '75 purchased a NOS '72 Paramount P15 Tourer. Still have it, wished I had the Voyaguer too. First racing bike was a '75 Peugoet (spelling?)PX10, it's gone :(

Them was 'da good old days!

Matt Barkley 10-01-2004 08:22 AM

1987 Miyata 312 with toe clips.

zap 10-01-2004 08:24 AM

'86 cannondale w/ultegra. 400 bucks :rolleyes: Great first bike.

TimD 10-01-2004 08:25 AM

An orange Raleigh Record 10-speed, circa 1973. Brooks leather saddle, wide-flange hubs. Nice bike, but unable to withstand the abuse imparted by a 14-year-old. On this bike I did win the one and only bike race I have ever entered :)

After a succession of mongrels and Schwinn Breeze single-speed wheelie / skid / slide / ramp / woods bikes, I ended up with a Kabuki (Bridgestone) 12-speed, circa 1980. Ultimately stolen out of my basement.

Next, a Cannondale R600, 1985, with Shimano 600 and downtube shifters. Purchased for the then-astronomical sum of $650. A gorgeous color, Sea Sprite Green, approximated today by Serotta's Porsche Bebe. Wicked stiff, but a lot of fun. On this I rode a Vernon, VT - Vernon, CT century during which one of my buddies ran over a goose, a solo tour de Martha's Vineyard during which I completely and utterly bonked, and a drunken, impromptu pursuit on the Charles River bike path which ended when another of my buddies took out a lamp post at full speed and I went over the bars in avoidance, breaking my arm, but not my bare head.

TimD

spiderman 10-01-2004 08:26 AM

my wife and daughters (dec '98?)

took me out for a birthday dinner...
and for dessert
brought out the lemond alpe d'huez/105's
and the whole place broke out
into happy birthday, clapping and cheering!

Too Tall 10-01-2004 08:28 AM

72' Bottechia all campy w/clement tubies. Ahhh, the flexible flyer.