The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Grease for assembly? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=234411)

johnniecakes 02-18-2019 06:44 AM

Grease for assembly?

My tub of antiseize is empty and I have a few projects coming up. The antiseize has always worked well but is a pain to clean up after. So if I decide to use grease for assembly (bottom bracket, headset cups) is the white grease with Teflon a good choice? Would the Teflon add a layer of protection against seizing that other lubricating greases do not? Or should I just Mobil 1 that I have a lot of?

oldpotatoe 02-18-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnniecakes (Post 2502549)
My tub of antiseize is empty and I have a few projects coming up. The antiseize has always worked well but is a pain to clean up after. So if I decide to use grease for assembly (bottom bracket, headset cups) is the white grease with Teflon a good choice? Would the Teflon add a layer of protection against seizing that other lubricating greases do not? Or should I just Mobil 1 that I have a lot of?

Antisieze is grease with 'stuff' in it, just like grease is oil in 'soap'..what you are trying to do is create a thin film between metal parts so they don't 'bond' together. Antisieze is a little more tenacious, why it's so tough to clean off..but grease works just fine too.

BTW..go to any auto parts store or decent hardware and they will have antisieze..any 'bike' stuff is the same stuff in different packaging..for more $ for generally less product.

FriarQuade 02-18-2019 09:08 AM

Stick to anti-seize for threaded parts, especially if you're not the best at maintenance. You can get a pack of acid brushes to apply it cleanly, should keep clean up to a minimum.

ScottW 02-18-2019 10:42 AM

I would not use the white grease with Teflon on threaded fittings. I once used it on a trailer hitch ball and over time it dried out and gummed up a little bit, even sitting inside a protective rubber cap that seemed decently sealed. Just a n=1 observation from a non-engineer.

Use proper anti-seize from an auto parts store. Even the ordinary Park Tool green polyurea grease will work (I use that for cassette lock rings). You pay slightly more $/oz than for automotive polyurea grease, but it comes in a 4 oz tube which is a little more convenient than storing a big grease gun sized tube of it.

tlittlefield 02-18-2019 11:03 AM

Phil Wood grease has always worked for me over the past umpteen years..

speedevil 02-18-2019 11:17 AM

You might consider a tub of Redline CV2 grease. Not expensive and it works very well. It has some moly in it. You can get a tub many places, even through amazon if you don't want to look around town for it.

bart998 02-18-2019 11:47 AM

Re:

I just use Phil or Park grease... never had a problem. Bikes aren't subject to the heat extremes in engines that anti-seize was developed for.

MURDERF4CE 02-18-2019 12:52 PM

I use Park grease.. never had any problems

old_fat_and_slow 02-18-2019 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlittlefield (Post 2502651)
phil wood grease has always worked for me over the past umpteen years..

+1

Mike V 02-18-2019 01:39 PM

Bought a vat of Mobil 1 grease many years ago and always used it with no problems. I compared it to Phil grease once and seemed the same.

Went out and looked and it said on the sticker price tag $1.59 for 3 lbs.

ultraman6970 02-18-2019 04:00 PM

Ultra uses white lithium grease. Wont break down as bad as petroleum grease, excellent in extreme temperatures.

oldpotatoe 02-19-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultraman6970 (Post 2502775)
Ultra uses white lithium grease. Wont break down as bad as petroleum grease, excellent in extreme temperatures.

Yes, I use it as well but 'lithium' grease still has some dino in it(petroleum)..
Quote:

The main components of lithium soaps are lithium stearate and lithium 12-hydroxystearate.[3] In addition to soap, soap-based lubricating greases also contain hydrocarbon oils and other components.

ultraman6970 02-19-2019 08:47 AM

Needs to have something or the mix wouldnt work.

What Ive done in some stuff is to put 100% silicon grease in some stuff, not bearings but contact points, that thing will stand anything. And the best is that it wont harm plastics or rubber. For the record, bad idea using it in bearings ok? is not for that,, contact points like brake bushings for example.

johnniecakes 02-19-2019 11:01 AM

Thanks everyone, I have 2 steel frames that are getting shimano bottom brackets so I am heading out to get a small tub/tube of nickel antiseize for assembly.

choke 02-19-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V (Post 2502710)
Bought a vat of Mobil 1 grease many years ago and always used it with no problems. I compared it to Phil grease once and seemed the same.

Went out and looked and it said on the sticker price tag $1.59 for 3 lbs.

:eek: I'd say it was a few years ago....