The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tent/camping Advice? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=276755)

duff_duffy 12-06-2021 09:21 AM

Tent/camping Advice?

I think many of you do overnight camping…not something I’ve done in many many years! My daughter is going on missions trip and needs 2 person tent. Rain proof critical from what they’ve told us. Has to be somewhat light as they will be carrying it (but not a lot, basically 4 locations they’ll be going to). Will be in use for about 9 months so durable as well. Any tips from any of you that camp? Cost a concern but if it takes $$ will find a way. Next OT topic will be in how those with kids have supported a gap year;)

AngryScientist 12-06-2021 09:29 AM

does she need a 2 person tent because there will be two people sleeping in it or just her?

Both of the REIs up here have quite a few used tents in the "garage sale" section. Might be worth taking a drive up and poking around the used bins, you may be able to score something nice for a good discount. They can be hit or miss used, sometimes look brand new, sometimes clapped out.

If she has to spend any real time in it, bigger is always better, especially if that's where she is getting out of the rain.

.RJ 12-06-2021 09:43 AM

https://www.rei.com/b/rei-co-op/c/te...ts&r=c%3Bf%3Bb

REI tents are pretty well thought out, not too heavy and almost always very easy to set up - and they have good warranty and if she's in the US there's likely to be a store nearby. One of those should work out, and most stores have a few set up so you can go in and look at them to see what might work.

A couple of thoughts - if you are going to be really living in it rather than just sleeping in it while you're on the move night to night, go bigger if you can, presuming you dont have to carry it. Make sure the tent has thing like hooks and mesh pockets on the inside, not having space for small things like headlamps, water bottles, phone, chargers, etc sucks. I would absolutely get a 2 person tent for solo use - my hammock is a double, my backpacking tent is a double, etc. I dont really know *how* you would fit 2 people in either of them, and I'm not exactly a large person at 5'8"

You'll want at least one of these - https://luminaid.com/collections/sol...xoCbBkQAvD_BwE - I use them whenever I camp, probably 20-30 nights a year. Very nice to have in the tent.

Sea-to-Summit collapsable bowls/plates/mugs are also pretty handy. I also have a lightweight (1 lb, Helinox) chair that is my 'luxury item' when I'm out for several days. Nice to sit out and read.

Spaghetti Legs 12-06-2021 09:47 AM

The REI tents are good value. I have a Half Dome that I bought at the Berkeley REI in the early 90’s that is still going although showing it’s age, ha ha. I used to use it backpacking although it’s not ideal for that. I was a stronger buck back then. I replaced it last year with a Trail Hut 2. I got it primarily for bike packing but have only had a chance to use it once. Weighs about 5 lbs and packs up pretty small. It is a tight squeeze for two adults and if two people using, the gear would likely need to stay outside the tent. Half dome is a realistic 2 person tent + gear inside.

I’d also recommend a sleeping pad for multi day sleeping outside. I have a generic Amazon bought one that folds up to the size of a Sunday newspaper and costs about 1/4 that of outdoor company brands.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerLix-Slee...ssociatesbp-20

Ken Robb 12-06-2021 09:58 AM

Where is she going? Will there be strong winds?

WNC rider 12-06-2021 09:59 AM

OP, can you be a bit more clear as to the needs/requirements of the tent?
Where will the mission trip be? Which seasons? Elevation? Exposed set-ups, or more in tree/forest type scenarios?

There is, to me anyway, a huge difference between a shorter term camping tent versus living out of a tent for 9 months in potentially challenging conditions.

Regardless, if I were looking for a longer-term tent 'residence', I'd go with Hilleberg.

verticaldoug 12-06-2021 10:09 AM

if it is summer weather with rain, I want a three person tent with a large vestibule and a footprint to protect the bottom of my tent.

If it is more wintry, I'd op for a expedition style tent, since I am less worried about ventilation and more worried about it being flattened in wind.

In either case, a large vestibule is a nice feature as it can make the tent feel much larger.

I am a big fan of sierra designs 3 season. I thought always reasonable price for the quality. The REI half dome looks like good quality too.

I'd also bring a repair kit. You never know what happens.

I'd also op for a synthetic sleeping bag and not a down one. I think synthetic is more durable in the wet

p nut 12-06-2021 10:11 AM

Whether it’s just her or with another person, I highly recommend getting a 4-man tent, if she will be living out of it for 9 months.

Typical 4 man has a center height of 70” or so. Which means, you can actually stand up in it. To change, stretch out on those rainy days, etc. I have an REI Camp Dome 4-man I bought about 12 years ago. Works well, and although I’d not hike with it, if she’s base camping it majority of the time, the weight penalty would be worth it.

redir 12-06-2021 10:15 AM

9 months in a tent is a long time for sure. I did 3 months once. It's amazing what you can get used too in those conditions.

A good question was raised, is there going to be two people in this tent? If so then get a 3 person tent.

I would suggest you go to a good outfitter because this is some serious camping here. There are lots of questions to ask. like is it one location or will she be moving around? What are the weather conditions, altitude, wind, sun/shade and so on.

For a 9 month stint I would want a livable tent.

christian 12-06-2021 10:16 AM

If she’s going to live out of a tent for 9 months, you need a real expedition tent. The ONLY tents I would consider for that are Hilleberg, specifically the Anjan 2 GT, the Jannu, or the Nallo GT or Nammatj GT. Nallo GT is probably the sweet spot for weight, size, and durability.

Alistair 12-06-2021 10:23 AM

As alluded to above, tent sizing is a little strange to non-campers.

A 2-person backpacking tent is tiny. It'll barely be big enough for two people side-by-side. Usually with a fairly low top - you'll only just be able to sit up in it. If she'll be using it long-term with another person, consider a 3 or 4 person tent, especially if they expect lots of rain - that will give a lot more indoor space to stay dry. 3 and 4 person are usually a little taller too, so a bit more room to crouch maybe.

Designs differ - some will have two side doors and two vestibules - others will have a single door at the head end and a single vestibule. I much prefer side entry and double vestibule.

A also prefer free-standing tents (or nearly free-standing). These designs can stand on their own without being staked to the ground. Makes them usable on solid rock, concrete, etc. Also can be less fiddly to set up, especially in dark or rain. But, always stake them once upright so they don't blow away.

And get a fitted ground sheet (footprint) with the tent. Adds a bit of weight, but should make the tent last longer.

Alistair 12-06-2021 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christian (Post 3019735)
If she’s going to live out of a tent for 9 months, you need a real expedition tent. The ONLY tents I would consider for that are Hilleberg, specifically the Anjan 2 GT, the Jannu, or the Nallo GT or Nammatj GT. Nallo GT is probably the sweet spot for weight, size, and durability.

That's a good point - a lot of the current backpacking tents are borderline disposable. They're built super-light and it's not unusual for somebody to toss it after a serious season of use (AT though hike, etc). They aren't all super fragile, but you do have to be careful with them.

Will she be sleeping in the tent every night for 9 months? Or, on and off (a few nights/week) over that time span?

thew 12-06-2021 10:33 AM

9 months is a long time. It sounds like she'll primarily be in once place (you mention ~4 moves). Assuming those moves aren't multi-day hikes I'd look for a 2 or 3 person tent that provides room, comfort and durability over one designed to minimize weight at the expense of space and durability.

Of brands I've owned REI and Sierra Designs are good. Eureka is a bit more affordable, a bit heavier, but well made and durable. Big Agnes makes some great, ultralight backpacking tents but it doesn't sound like that's what she needs. Consider something like Hilleberg if she's going to be camping in winter conditions or at altitude; otherwise a 3-season tent should be OK.

One important long-term livability consideration, especially since it sounds like she'll be in a rainy climate: will she have access to a sheltered space for cooking, eating, hanging out, etc? If no, consider getting a tarp setup in addition to the tent. The tent is your bedroom; it's nice to have an additional place to do these activities and still be under cover.

mhespenheide 12-06-2021 10:33 AM

Echoing other's replies, if you give more details, I can give a more detailed answer. I've camped extensively over the past two decades, including a 3-month stint, a 6-month stint (both car camping), and lots of multi-week trips (backpacking and car camping).

If she is in the United States, there's real value in buying from REI since she could return/exchange anything across their network of stores.

duff_duffy 12-06-2021 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the tips….she’ll be solo in tent. 1 month straight in tent in US then visiting 3 countries for about 8 months. In some areas will have host family to stay at, other areas will be tent but not sure if breakdown of time. Think will be moderate temp but need to check on that based on when will be there (Costa Rica, Africa, Romania). Getting more info now but some of the REI gear should fit the bill. This is a fun rabbit hole;). Next up, fund raising…that part is not as exciting to me but luckily she’s on the ball to make it happen and has experience in that area.