The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: 34 years ago today (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=246963)

SpaceOdyssey 01-28-2020 04:17 PM

OT: 34 years ago today

We lost the space shuttle Challenger and her crew....

I was listening at work to the radio broadcast of the launch.

gemship 01-28-2020 04:23 PM

I was in the fifth grade. The whole school or least most of our class was watching the launch.

Black Dog 01-28-2020 04:41 PM

I was at home for lunch in the 6th grade. Was watching the launch on TV. Hard to ever forget that day.

DeBike 01-28-2020 04:42 PM

I was tending bar at a restaurant in Ocean City, MD. I had day bar and had the launch on the tv"s. It took a few seconds to realize what had happened.

gomango 01-28-2020 05:16 PM

I was in the basement of our record distribution company watching.

Shocked and saddened.

In total silence.

gasman 01-28-2020 05:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was at the hospital during my training. This letter was in a book of notable letters my wife found. Six months beforehand and engineer was significantly worried about the O-rings.
Oops it's sideways.

parris 01-28-2020 05:48 PM

I've seen a few videos of the engineers who's decisions were overridden the days approaching the launch. It was sobering to say the least due to the fact that there were several in the MT company that gave no go to this launch but weren't listened to as was supposed to be company policy. Then after the explosion these same people were almost scapegoated by management of both their company and NASA.

I was between classes in the student union of my local community college and watched it as it happened.

CNY rider 01-28-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parris (Post 2649953)
I've seen a few videos of the engineers who's decisions were overridden the days approaching the launch. It was sobering to say the least due to the fact that there were several in the MT company that gave no go to this launch but weren't listened to as was supposed to be company policy. Then after the explosion these same people were almost scapegoated by management of both their company and NASA.

I was between classes in the student union of my local community college and watched it as it happened.

Boeing, anyone?
We learn heartbreaking lessons, then corporate greed always wins out over safety in due time, until we have to learn the lesson again. Rinse and repeat.

David Kirk 01-28-2020 06:01 PM

I was working at Dick Sonnes Ski, Hike and Bike and had gone to the pizza place to pick up lunch for me the boys. I was waiting for my order and saw it on the TV in the dining area.

We weren't all that productive that afternoon.

dave

ultraman6970 01-28-2020 06:20 PM

Oh i remember, in my country is summer and we were in the beach vacationing. When coming back from training around noon, we put the tv and we saw the videos. Shocking and sad.

72gmc 01-28-2020 07:04 PM

I was having a great day of skiing with friends. One of the dads picked us up and told us, but we didn't believe him until we heard it on the radio.

metalheart 01-28-2020 09:38 PM

28s are a fog for me. Lost my day the 28th Nov 1971, lost my brother 28 Jan, 2003, Columbia was just a few days after his death. My 1st heart attack Oct 28th, 2005, Second Jan 28th 2010. 28s are hard, but I usually drink the best bottle of wine in the house on Jan 28th.

JasonF 01-29-2020 12:00 AM

I was in high school sitting in American history class. The teacher was one of the finalists for the first teacher in space and I’ll never forget the look on his face when the vice principal came into the classroom and made the announcement.

ScottW 01-29-2020 12:37 AM

I was in 3rd grade. We were in class as usual, not watching live as there were not enough TVs to go around. I remember one of the other teachers coming in and saying something quietly to my teacher, who started crying right there in class. Scared us a little bit because we had no idea what was going on. Some minutes later the principal announced over the PA what happened. Didn't see the video until I got home and watched the news with my mom.

Clean39T 01-29-2020 12:55 AM

I was in Clearwater, FL, probably 2nd grade - the whole class was outside to watch the shuttle launch.......