The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Catalogs (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Serial Numbers Decoded (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078)

oliver1850 08-24-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevendavid75 (Post 2414857)
Thanks Dave,
So based on that, are we able to get any idea of when it was built? And by whom?

Cheers
Steve

My CSI is #958 and from what I've been able to determine based on CSIs owned by others, it's a 1997. If I'm right on mine yours should be in the 1997-98 range. Some colors were only offered in certain years, so that can sometimes help pin year down. Check out the 1998 catalog. Unfortunately we don't have a 1997 catalog.

Dave Kirk might be able to tell you more about the builder. I believe he did a lot of the customs. There were probably several guys doing production brazed bikes in those years.

dave thompson 08-24-2018 07:02 PM

New Serottas were delivered with a sheet signed off by the people that were involved with its’ build, about 6 to 10 signatures on each build sheet. No one person was solely responsible for the frame.

monarchguy 08-24-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 2415826)
Thought CR was in the list, but it appears not. Many more are mentioned in the thread. The Colorado Legend CR was the frame that replaced the Colorado II in 1993. You have the 9th one built, a stock 52 cm.

Thanks for the update -- I didn't think it was anything rare, but was suprised that the CR designation wasn't listed. Looked thru the thread, didn't see anything like it, but apparently read too fast...

-- Dan

oliver1850 08-24-2018 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave thompson (Post 2415935)
New Serottas were delivered with a sheet signed off by the people that were involved with its’ build, about 6 to 10 signatures on each build sheet. No one person was solely responsible for the frame.

I'm sure that's true with production frames. Makes sense that one guy cut tubes, another brazed, etc. I know Marci did finish work in the early days. Thinking Dave has said he built customs and team bikes pretty much on his own, at least some years.

oliver1850 08-24-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monarchguy (Post 2415954)
Thanks for the update -- I didn't think it was anything rare, but was suprised that the CR designation wasn't listed. Looked thru the thread, didn't see anything like it, but apparently read too fast...

-- Dan

I didn't read through it either to be honest but fairly sure about the CR model designation. Colorado Legend/Colorado CRL was the other lugged frame at the time ('93-'94). It's in the list as CRL.

Just guessing that your frame may have an unusual paint job or has been repainted, as CRs normally have the model name on the top tube. Even if painted as a new frame at the factory someone may have specified a decal color that they didn't stock for every model. That typically resulted in frames with either a small Serotta decal in place of the model name, or nothing at all.

monarchguy 08-27-2018 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 2415993)
I didn't read through it either to be honest but fairly sure about the CR model designation. Colorado Legend/Colorado CRL was the other lugged frame at the time ('93-'94). It's in the list as CRL.

Just guessing that your frame may have an unusual paint job or has been repainted, as CRs normally have the model name on the top tube. Even if painted as a new frame at the factory someone may have specified a decal color that they didn't stock for every model. That typically resulted in frames with either a small Serotta decal in place of the model name, or nothing at all.

Saw that, but the name on the TT says "Colorado Legend CR" -- no "L" to be found. I went thru the 1993 cartalog that was scanned, believe that the paint job on the bike is in there (purple/turquoise/yellow accent), so looks original to me. The serial is definately CR, not CRL. I need to get some pics of it so better minds than mine can judge. Do appreciate all of the feedback.
-- Dan

monarchguy 08-27-2018 07:21 PM

Pics (hopefully)

3 Attachment(s)
Apologies in advance -- I am not a photographer.

-- Dan

Stevendavid75 08-31-2018 06:24 AM

Have been doing some online trawling and I know not purely serial number related, but my frame has a Columbus fork, looks to be a carve but not entirely sure.
Fork is color matched to frame also (orange copper) so may be re spray?
Or were frames provided with Columbus forks or did they stick to the f1 forks only?
Ta in advance

dave thompson 08-31-2018 11:25 AM

While Serotta was a production house, it was also a custom shop. They offered a variety of forks as options for their bikes, see the 2000 catalog as an example and I’d bet they would put most anything a customer wanted on their front ends.

oliver1850 08-31-2018 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monarchguy (Post 2417060)
Saw that, but the name on the TT says "Colorado Legend CR" -- no "L" to be found. I went thru the 1993 cartalog that was scanned, believe that the paint job on the bike is in there (purple/turquoise/yellow accent), so looks original to me. The serial is definately CR, not CRL. I need to get some pics of it so better minds than mine can judge. Do appreciate all of the feedback.
-- Dan

Yes, CRL was the slightly lighter weight frame, otherwise the same as your CR. Your frame is almost certainly original, and only made in 1993. "Legend" was dropped from the name in 1994, so 1993 frames are the easiest of all years to pin down.

monarchguy 09-04-2018 07:12 PM

Great info

Thanks for the update on my frame, good to hear. I'm really liking it and was curious about the history.

OT -- like your avatar as well. The farmers working my back 10 acres run a couple of Olivers and they must like them, based on the stckers and tats.

-- Dan

oliver1850 09-05-2018 12:18 AM

Thanks Dan, you are one of maybe three here to get the reference. Let me know where you are (PM?). Always good to make Oliver contacts.

DavidLorenzoni 12-04-2018 03:38 PM

HI. I'm trying to validate the authenticity of a serial number on a Legend Titanium built in either 2012/2013. The serial number is:
LS A 0167

oliver1850 12-13-2018 10:31 AM

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge about serial numbers that recent. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Hardlyrob 01-24-2019 11:54 AM

Coming over here from the CSI serial number / picture thread.

Ordered in late May or early June 1996, and delivered about 6 weeks later in the middle of July.
CS 55L 747

Stock 55 CSI
Rob