The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Optimal seat bag tool setup (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=251739)

doomridesout 05-13-2020 12:25 PM

Optimal seat bag tool setup

I’ve been designing and sewing seat bags and tool rolls lately, and it’s got me thinking about the optimum load out for both day rides and bigger jaunts.

Day ride:
One tube
One lever
One Co2 and chuck
Small multi tool
Patch kit.

I don’t like how bulky the patch kit is and the multi tool is always a trade off between leverage and size. I’m thinking I’ll switch to a small flat zipper bag for patch stuff instead of the patch kit box and maybe get a driver/bit multi tool setup?

MTB/backcountry/overnight:
Two tubes
One lever
Mini pump
Small multi tool
Patches and a boot
Tubeless plug kit
Chain pliers? I don’t have these yet but am eyeing the Wolf Tooth ones.
Small bottle of Stans
Chain breaker? Is there a mini one or a good multi tool with one?
Spare cleat bolt? Are there any other spares people view as essential for this type of kit?

What do you carry for each use case? Anyone have recommendations on tools that reduce redundancy and work well at a low weight?

Blue Jays 05-13-2020 12:50 PM

In terms of bag design...I favor models that accommodate two tubes, regardless of anticipated ride duration.
Most of us have experienced the bad-luck-double-whammy of two punctures happening on a single ride.

fmradio516 05-13-2020 01:18 PM

I always liked to have the ability to kind of strap a mini pump to the outside of the bag in order to save space on the inside.

veloduffer 05-13-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmradio516 (Post 2717489)
I always liked to have the ability to kind of strap a mini pump to the outside of the bag in order to save space on the inside.

+1 which is why I like the Castelli seat bag. Also, I carry at least two cartridges since you can easily waste one if you didn't get it right on the first try (tire bead not hooked correctly allowing inner tube to come out, or tubeless if the tire doesn't seat correctly).

Bob Ross 05-13-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomridesout (Post 2717461)
Day ride:
One tube
One lever
One Co2 and chuck
Small multi tool
Patch kit.

If I'm going out for a day ride I'm not bringing a patch kit, but I am bringing at least two tubes.

And if I'm feeling paranoid I'd rather carry a third tube than a patch kit, 'cuz I'd still rather change a tube on the side of the road than fix a tube on the side of the road.

And I always take two levers...because two barely takes up more room in the pack than one, but when dealing with a stubborn tire the difference is more than 2x

AngryScientist 05-13-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

the Wolf Tooth ones.

Anyone have recommendations on tools that reduce redundancy and work well at a low weight?

FYI, the wolf tooth pliers are very good and do double duty as an excellent tire lever. very light too. (they have a built in valve core removal wrench too)

pdmtong 05-13-2020 03:10 PM

One tube
Two CO2 cartridges (in case I fat finger the first one)
Rema patch kit

scoobydrew 05-13-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2717526)
FYI, the wolf tooth pliers are very good and do double duty as an excellent tire lever. very light too. (they have a built in valve core removal wrench too)

This tool looks fantastic. I need to add this to my tool kit.

cp43 05-13-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2717526)

I have one, and have used the pliers part with great success.

Have you used it as a tire lever? I'd be worried about damaging the tire and/or rim using a metal lever.

Chris

jtakeda 05-13-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobydrew (Post 2717554)
This tool looks fantastic. I need to add this to my tool kit.

It’s really good. I do carry a tire lever still though because I don’t like using a metal tire lever on my wheels

Davist 05-13-2020 04:23 PM

just a comment, I NEVER put tubes in the seatbag after having one puncture just by bouncing around in it. Bonus, I get to use a really small bag (lezyne micro), 2 levers, 2 co2, 1 head, 1 multi tool and 1 stick on patch kit. Tube in box in pocket for me.

fmradio516 05-13-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davist (Post 2717618)
just a comment, I NEVER put tubes in the seatbag after having one puncture just by bouncing around in it. Bonus, I get to use a really small bag (lezyne micro), 2 levers, 2 co2, 1 head, 1 multi tool and 1 stick on patch kit. Tube in box in pocket for me.

how did it puncture?

RoosterCogset 05-13-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Day ride:
One tube
One lever
One Co2 and chuck
Small multi tool
Patch kit.

I don’t like how bulky the patch kit is and the multi tool is always a trade off between leverage and size. I’m thinking I’ll switch to a small flat zipper bag for patch stuff instead of the patch kit box and maybe get a driver/bit multi tool setup?

Really happy with Arundel Pico bag for as described contents above.. kinda like the Uno, but a little bigger and made from waterproof stuff.
Instead of a patch kit, I just get a couple glueless patches. I know they can stink, but I want fast and hopefully good 'nuff to get home. Lot less space that way.

Small multi-tool.. my go-to is the SKS Tom 7 tool.

Peter P. 05-13-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmradio516 (Post 2717627)
how did it puncture?

Likely friction or contact with something else in the bag.

That's why I stuff my TWO tubes into an old cycling sock with the excess length cut off. I stitch on some Velcro tabs to close the sock. The sock protects the tubes.

I also carry a patch kit because as Blue Jays pointed out, there are those "bad-luck-double-whammy" days. But that's a last resort as I mostly patch the tube at home.

I carry two levers because I can't find the third one and I find stubborn tires a pain to remove with just two. And yes; I've broken levers on the road.

And a pump. Because I've seen CO2 inflators fail. They add waste to the environment, and sooner or later the cartridges purchased would exceed the cost of my pump.

And a multi-tool.

RoosterCogset 05-13-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter P. (Post 2717672)
Likely friction or contact with something else in the bag.

That's why I stuff my TWO tubes into an old cycling sock with the excess length cut off. I stitch on some Velcro tabs to close the sock. The sock protects the tubes.

Haven't tried yet, but I like the idea I read about saran wrapping a tube(s).. keeps it tight and small, and I guess depending on how many wraps, offers some protection.