The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   Catalogs (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Serial Numbers Decoded (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99078)

Keith A 09-25-2020 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdv (Post 2801426)
Thanks. Doubted that Serotta would have let out of the shop with decals that way. Curious if the L in the serial number has some particular meaning.

The "L" means long top tube. For a while they were using this in their serial numbers, but it seems like all of them from those years had the "L" in there.

oliver1850 09-26-2020 02:21 PM

As Keith mentioned, earlier in the decade Serotta offered different top tube lengths on their steel frames. For example the standard geometry 58 cm frame had a 57 cm top tube, the long (58L) had a 58 cm TT, and the extra long (58X) had a 59 cm TT. In 1995 Serotta dropped the optional lengths and the L lengths became standard on 53 to 62 cm stock frames. The stock Ti frames were all built with the L geometry.

Mike Bryant 10-08-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcy (Post 1187351)
I've got a Ti Concours Cross bike that starts with CU, so I'm guessing that a CU prefix means Concours. I haven't seen the Concours model discussed in this thread, so I thought I'd share.

The rest of the code follows the modern 'rules' -- the second grouping is the size (59) and the third I assume is the number made (003)

Great bike, a keeper.

-- Marc


Marc

I recently acquired CU 59 005. Indeed a great bike for my gravel riding adventures. I did change the brakes from TRP 8.4 mini-v’s to polished Paul MiniMotos. Thought you’d like to see it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...f4e279ab0d.jpg

Mike


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texstever 10-28-2020 08:28 AM

Serial Number in Question by new member
 
I recently purchased a Serotta Colorado from the "son of the original owner" which I thought questionable. Anyway, the serial number looks to be TG5600052. the stamping of the "TG" is very faint so I'm not 100% certain. Bike frame is made with the Prestige TL tubing and is a dark metallic green. Anyone have an idea of the year for this frame? Certain its a 90's model just not certain of exact year. The frame is in very good shape and I've been working to build it up for riding the local roads.
Thanks!

dave thompson 10-28-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texstever (Post 2819462)
I recently purchased a Serotta Colorado from the "son of the original owner" which I thought questionable. Anyway, the serial number looks to be TG5600052. the stamping of the "TG" is very faint so I'm not 100% certain. Bike frame is made with the Prestige TL tubing and is a dark metallic green. Anyone have an idea of the year for this frame? Certain its a 90's model just not certain of exact year. The frame is in very good shape and I've been working to build it up for riding the local roads.
Thanks!

According to your serial number, you’ve got a Colorado TG model, which was TIG welded construction rather than lugged and brazed, and yours was the 52nd one built which would have been in 1992.

The ‘92 Serotta catalog is here: https://forums.thepaceline.net/attac...6&d=1291899485

Texstever 10-29-2020 05:46 PM

1992.
 
1 Attachment(s)
Dave, thanks for the reply. How did you determine year? One thing I noticed is the bike, although made from LT tubing, does not have LT after Colorado decal. Maybe a year or two later model. I don’t think it ever had downtube shifters on it. Image of the bike after I cleaned it up some attached.

Keith A 10-29-2020 05:55 PM

Determining the year is a bit of guess work. The frames' serial numbers are based on the model and then the production number of that model. You can use the catalogs as a reference as to when a particular model was available, and so you can usually narrow this down to a guesstimation of the year it was built.

dave thompson 10-29-2020 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texstever (Post 2820466)
Dave, thanks for the reply. How did you determine year? One thing I noticed is the bike, although made from LT tubing, does not have LT after Colorado decal. Maybe a year or two later model. I don’t think it ever had downtube shifters on it. Image of the bike after I cleaned it up some attached.

My guesstimate of the year is based on the LT was first shown in the '92 catalog and yours was the 52nd built, according to the serial number.

LT is not the tubing but the method of tube joining, TIG welded instead of lugged. The lack of the LT decal isn't terribly significant.

Your bike has cable stops on the downtube, which could have replaced downtube shifters on the shifter bosses.

oliver1850 11-02-2020 12:43 PM

Agree with what Dave said, except it's a TG (tig welded), not an LT (lugged). Both had Tange Prestige tubing as standard, but I have it from a reputable source that Serotta often substituted tubing depending on what they had in stock. The TG was the first tig welded Serotta road frame. It was introduced in 1992 and your #52 was surely made that year.

dave thompson 11-02-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oliver1850 (Post 2822377)
Agree with what Dave said, except it's a TG (tig welded), not an LT (lugged). Both had Tange Prestige tubing as standard, but I have it from a reputable source that Serotta often substituted tubing depending on what they had in stock. The TG was the first tig welded Serotta road frame. It was introduced in 1992 and your #52 was surely made that year.

You’re right, old guy brain fart. Thanks.

jamin_gwee 11-04-2020 05:13 AM

2000 Hors Categorie Serial Number
 
2 Attachment(s)
Hi!

I recently acquired a 2000 Hors Categorie custom frameset that is on its way to me now. I understand the serial number: C CH 48 200 indicates that it is a custom geometry Hors Categorie with a seat tube of 48cm C-C. Do you think the 'CH' in the serial number is an error that supposed to read 'HC' for 'Hors Categorie'?

I requested for an elevation shot of the frame from the seller to do some measurements on CAD before buying. Due to the photograph perspective distortion, I'm not 100% certain on the measurements but here are some preliminary measurements extrapolated from CAD based on the seller's provided C-T seat tube measurement of 51cm.

Top Tube C-C: 52cm
Seat Tube C-C: 48cm (as confirmed with the serial number)
Chainstays: 42.5 - 43cm (looks really long but maybe due to perspective distortion)
Headtube: 12.5cm

This paint livery is very interesting and seems to be used only on the Meivici and never on the Hors. I've never seen this shade of blue before on a Serotta too. Decals look to be all intact from the photos so I think it is a Serotta factory job. I'm thinking this Hors is from 2000 because of the metal headbadge and 'non XL' 3D dropouts.

Seller is not the first owner and got this frameset from a local shop that dealt with Serotta. Appreciate any input on this frameset. I will receive this frame in about 2 weeks time. Thank you!

Keith A 11-04-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamin_gwee (Post 2823756)
...
Do you think the 'CH' in the serial number is an error that supposed to read 'HC' for 'Hors Categorie'?

Interesting, it certainly seems like that might be the case.

oliver1850 11-08-2020 02:37 PM

I agree with Keith, likely just a mistake. Nice Hors Categorie.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.