The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Challenge tires (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=305688)

classtimesailer 04-04-2024 05:32 PM

Challenge tires

What is the difference between Strada and Strada Bianca? Some product descriptions say they both have puncture protection layers. I can usually figure this stuff out but I’m stumped.

sweitee 04-04-2024 05:36 PM

I think the Stradas are just pavement (25-30mm) and the Strada Biancas run larger (30-45mm) and are also a dry condition gravel tire.

sg8357 04-04-2024 08:52 PM

You’ll need this.:)

https://www.challengetires.com/shop/...ing-tool/55172

robt57 04-04-2024 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweitee (Post 3369693)
I think the Stradas are just pavement (25-30mm) and the Strada Biancas run larger (30-45mm) and are also a dry condition gravel tire.

Strada to 27mm, Bianca starts @ 30mm. I'm running 30 and 36mm Bianca tubular tubeless.

sweitee 04-04-2024 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robt57 (Post 3369766)
Strada to 27mm, Bianca starts @ 30mm. I'm running 30 and 36mm Bianca tubular tubeless.

On the Challenge site right now they have both Stradas and Biancas @ 30mm for tubular, tubeless, and clinchers.

I'm not sure what the difference between a 30mm Strada vs a 30mm Bianca would be.

robt57 04-04-2024 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweitee (Post 3369769)
On the Challenge site right now they have both Stradas and Biancas @ 30mm for tubular, tubeless, and clinchers.

I'm not sure what the difference between a 30mm Strada vs a 30mm Bianca would be.

Yep, I missed that.

martl 04-05-2024 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sg8357 (Post 3369751)

nope you need this:

https://cdn02.plentymarkets.com/50ks...-61451--1-.jpg

fun aside, i started my "mount a Challenge" Challenge with woodworking clamps, motorcycle tire irons, buckets of soap water and a lot of cursing; and now, after mounting just a few more of them, i barely use a Michelin tire lever. Its all about the technique.

StruggleClimber 04-05-2024 07:46 AM

I have the handmade clincher stradas (30mm) on my road bike and I love them. Not sure why, but the tires were extremely easy to mount. paired up with latex tubes and the comfort is amazing.

tv_vt 04-05-2024 07:54 AM

This brand used to have a terrible reputation for lacking durability. Has that changed?

gravelreformist 04-05-2024 09:21 AM

Challenge Getaway Pro HTLR is my favorite gravel tire. Rolls great on pavement. Solid on gravel. No issues with durability - got a good 3500 miles out of the last rear tire which is all I can expect from any fast design.

Mounting is a bit of a PITA, especially if you don't follow the recommended procedure!

steelrimbrake 04-05-2024 12:33 PM

As mentioned for different conditions and different sizes.

Loving the Stradas that came on my bike.

classtimesailer 04-05-2024 01:30 PM

I have one 30mm Strada Bianca (not TLR) that mounted on an Open Pro with tube without a problem. I’m looking for a match but if the Strada is the same but without extra puncture protection that is fine.

harblhat 04-05-2024 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravelreformist (Post 3369840)
Challenge Getaway Pro HTLR is my favorite gravel tire. Rolls great on pavement. Solid on gravel. No issues with durability - got a good 3500 miles out of the last rear tire which is all I can expect from any fast design.

Mounting is a bit of a PITA, especially if you don't follow the recommended procedure!

Any experience in the wet? I'm planning to run this exact tire on the front this year with a Strada Bianca rear.

gravelreformist 04-06-2024 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harblhat (Post 3370012)
Any experience in the wet? I'm planning to run this exact tire on the front this year with a Strada Bianca rear.

Yes, plenty. It's nearly always wet here in upstate NY it seems. I have no issues with these tires in the wet, understanding that they have very minimal tread. That said, our roads tend to be rough chip seal that drain well and have good traction even when soaking wet. On the gravel they do fine considering the limited tread type and that they are a bit of a round, rather than square (MTB) profile so your contact patch is limited.

I say these ride like a cross tubular as opposed to the other gravel tires I've put a bunch of miles on lately, the Tufo Gravel Thundero which is more like a narrow MTB tire, and the outer tread layer is a bit more supple and therefore a bit better wet traction. But those roll slower on pavement so I prefer the Getaways.

harblhat 04-06-2024 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravelreformist (Post 3370156)
Yes, plenty. It's nearly always wet here in upstate NY it seems. I have no issues with these tires in the wet, understanding that they have very minimal tread. That said, our roads tend to be rough chip seal that drain well and have good traction even when soaking wet. On the gravel they do fine considering the limited tread type and that they are a bit of a round, rather than square (MTB) profile so your contact patch is limited.

I say these ride like a cross tubular as opposed to the other gravel tires I've put a bunch of miles on lately, the Tufo Gravel Thundero which is more like a narrow MTB tire, and the outer tread layer is a bit more supple and therefore a bit better wet traction. But those roll slower on pavement so I prefer the Getaways.

Thanks. I've read many accounts of poor wet traction with the Challenge handmade tires, particularly the Strada Bianca and Getaway. Happy to read a different opinion. I don't often ride in the wet so made a conscious choice for fast dry weather tires, but you never know.