The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shimano hydraulic brake swap/installation-type question... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210668)

kohlboto 09-12-2017 06:36 PM

Shimano hydraulic brake swap/installation-type question...

Okay, so, I'm going to be switching my Parlee Chebacco from Mechanical/Hydraulic to di2/Hydraulic. The internal di2 wiring looks pretty straight forward and I think the brakes shouldn't be a problem. But, I'm wondering...can I can keep all the brake housing on the frame (and connected to the calipers) and simply swap out the levers? It looks like I just have to uncouple the housing from the mechanical shifters and swap them over to the di2 shifters. Am I correct in this assumption?
Obviously, I'd have to deal with the mineral oil and bleed the brakes again but it seems suspiciously straightforward to me.
Anything else I should take into consideration before attempting this?

Ronsonic 09-12-2017 06:55 PM

I have no experience with road hydro, but that's how it works with mountain bikes. And with a bit of deftness and luck you don't need to do more than "burp" them. I would certainly give it a good eyeball and try it unless I saw something obviously prohibiting it.

yashcha 09-12-2017 07:20 PM

I have to do the same thing since I am switching to flat mount brakes. Do the metal ends (olives?) need to be replaced? This is the first bike I have owned with Hydro.

cogclog 09-12-2017 09:19 PM

Shimano hydraulic brake swap/installation-type question...

Quote:

Originally Posted by yashcha (Post 2232689)
I have to do the same thing since I am switching to flat mount brakes. Do the metal ends (olives?) need to be replaced? This is the first bike I have owned with Hydro.

Olives do not need to be replaced unless you need a different fitting to attach the hose to the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yashcha 09-12-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cogclog (Post 2232745)
Olives do not need to be replaced unless you need a different fitting to attach the hose to the caliper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

DRZRM 09-13-2017 07:50 AM

I do have a personal interest in this so confirm what I say. Also, I've never set up anything electronic but I have installed and switched disc brakes on both road and MTBs and I assume this should hold true (I once accidentally bought moto/UK setup MTB levers, and switching them was easy with no need for changes). My understanding of the disc end of the levers, you should be able to carefully pop out the connection at the lever end, reinstall without changing olive or barb or making any adjustment to the cables or brakes, and be good to go.

Does this impact our business?

zank 09-13-2017 12:06 PM

If you are going from RS685 levers to R785 levers, you should be fine. If you are going from RS685 levers to R9170 or R8070, you should change the hose to BH90.