The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does LoLo Jones have a boyfriend? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49541)

CPP 08-20-2008 03:07 PM

Does LoLo Jones have a boyfriend?

Is he cooler than me?

malcolm 08-20-2008 03:13 PM

Yes
Yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySvRYIh9Tg

Chad Engle 08-20-2008 03:21 PM

LOLO is super hot, super fast and super classy! No excuses, very cool.

Fixed 08-20-2008 03:28 PM

http://www.webtvhub.com/the-50-most-...es-and-videos/

there are a lot of beautiful women thimho

eddief 08-20-2008 07:56 PM

just for the fun of it...

...i vote for number 32 on that list.

Fixed 08-20-2008 08:03 PM

remember the james bond chick ? she would crush you like an egg

in a good way :beer: imho
cheers

rwsaunders 08-20-2008 09:01 PM

Class act all the way.

cadence90 08-20-2008 09:33 PM

I see I'm not the only one with an "Olympics crush". :)

fiamme red 08-20-2008 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadence90
I see I'm not the only one with an "Olympics crush". :)

I'm in love with Victoria Pendleton. :)

brians647 08-20-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwsaunders
Class act all the way.

Totally. Much respect for her. :beer:

cadence90 08-21-2008 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiamme red
I'm in love with Victoria Pendleton. :)

I'm sticking with the lo part of love:
LoLo Jones and Logan Tom. :)

Tony Edwards 08-21-2008 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixed
http://www.webtvhub.com/the-50-most-...es-and-videos/

there are a lot of beautiful women thimho

That list is fatally flawed in that they didn't even include Leryn Franco, but they did include several women who aren't even close to her caliber (at least from my perspective). Ah well . . .

eddief 08-21-2008 09:01 AM

i changed my mind...

...now i like Leryn Franco

brians647 08-21-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddief

Way to stick with just one there Eddie... ;)

Variety is the spice of life.. can't just settle for one ya know.. :D

Sandy 08-21-2008 09:19 AM

eddief

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddief

Be kind and sensitive when you tell LoLo. She will be devastated! :rolleyes: :)

Sandy

girlie 08-21-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy

Sandy

Go Sandy! Go Sandy!
:D

SadieKate 08-21-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy

Sandy

Please! Don't want to see the drama queen act again. She could take a lesson from the pipsqueak gymnasts who fall down, get up and attack again, saving the tears for the sidelines.

girlie 08-21-2008 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieKate
Please! Don't want to see the drama queen act again. She could take a lesson from the pipsqueak gymnasts who fall down, get up and attack again, saving the tears for the sidelines.

I didn't see her after the race does anyone have a link?
I like it when athletes let their emotions show.
I respect the time, sacrifices, and discipline - and it must be more than one can stand to have it all fall away in a split second.
In regards to this thread = I wonder how many guys/gals (cause ya never know) Lolo had to turn away cause she had practice and no time?

SadieKate 08-21-2008 01:07 PM

There is letting your emotions show and then there is trying to hog the limelight. She collapsed onto the track, pounded it, and had some prolonged general histrionics before going off the field and starting over again next to a wall.

No recognition whatsoever of the other athletes' performances. Be a good sportsman, congratulate them and then sob into your shoes.

The 15 yr old US diver who didn't make the finals yesterday showed more dignity, even while her tears flowed on camera.

jmc22 08-21-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

There is letting your emotions show and then there is trying to hog the limelight. She collapsed onto the track, pounded it, and had some prolonged general histrionics before going off the field and starting over again next to a wall.

No recognition whatsoever of the other athletes' performances. Be a good sportsman, congratulate them and then sob into your shoes.

The 15 yr old US diver who didn't make the finals yesterday showed more dignity, even while her tears flowed on camera.

Sorta like Usain Bolt did when he won:

BEIJING (AP) - IOC president Jacques Rogge criticized Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt on Thursday for showing a lack of respect to other competitors after his record-breaking gold medal performances in the 100 and 200 meters.

Usain Bolt sets another world record in the 200m final. Americans Shawn Crawford and Walter Dix get silver and bronze, respectively. "That's not the way we perceive being a champion," Rogge said.

SadieKate 08-21-2008 01:17 PM

You got it. Bolt starting the celebration before he'd even crossed the line in the 100 meters and not running the fastest he possibly could for the entire 100 meters was just crass. Because of the two of them plus all the posing from many of the others, I started fast forwarding through the sprints and hurdles.

The sprint distances in T&F seem to be more into image, mind games and gold chains than the sport. I wonder if Michael Phelps would have all the sponsors if he behaved the same way.

girlie 08-21-2008 01:35 PM

Once again I did not see Lolo after her race.
Guess I'm of a different mind set....I like the antics of Cipo and like.
I prefer the raw to the "professional" this is competition. And some athletes need to go to different places to obtain their best performances. If they loose a little $ so what they are probably doing it for different reasons than $ anyway.
Plus don't we all like a good spectacle? ;)
I'd probably not act like Lolo but I sure would not be perfect either.

Climb01742 08-21-2008 01:53 PM

lolo may have overdone it a bit on the track after the race, but... to go from pulling away from the field to nailing #9... well, what does a lifetime of work feel like that slipped away? i'm inclined to cut her some slack.

dauwhe 08-21-2008 01:56 PM

The Thrill of Victory, the Agony of Defeat... I'm happy to see emotion in sport. As long as they're not yelling at their fellow competitors, I think it's great. So Bolt has some swagger--good for him! He won two gold medals, and set world records in both races. He's made the Olympics much more interesting.

And if someone wants to express frustration, that's OK with me too, as long as no one gets hurt, and it doesn't interfere with the event.

I have little interest in watching robots who are always trying to act appropriately.

Dave

P.S. How many bike racers celebrate their wins before the finish line? ;)

SadieKate 08-21-2008 02:10 PM

Not very many if a world record time is on the line. Isn't there a middle ground? I like emotion also but not grandstanding. I remember watching Alicia Sacramore fall apart after a fall. The camera showed her brooding and sobbing on the sidelines when she still had another event to go in which she fell again. Emotions are good when used at the right time.

The Olympic Oath is one of the rituals of the Olympic Games. It is taken by an athlete from the host country, on behalf of all the athletes.

"In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honour of our teams".

aLexis 08-21-2008 02:16 PM

It is important to note that it was the tv cameras who chose to dwell on her after the race, she has no control over that limelight, as they were going to turn to her no matter what her actions. Her behavior did not seem to me like that of a drama queen. In her post race interview (less than 5 min after the race), she was a gracious loser and congratulated the Australian, hugging her as she passed. Her reaction after that race seemed totally appropriate for the circumstance.

Quote:

SadieKate 08-21-2008 02:21 PM

I didn't see that and it's nice to know but I don't see athletes in any other sport who stay on the field/court/mat/apparatus/pool/whatever sobbing when they have lost.

The world lost a lot of respect for Mary Decker when she acted very similarly. I wonder how many are cutting Jones some slack because of her appearance?

I'll agree to disagree with you. :)

dauwhe 08-21-2008 02:47 PM

I think I'm cutting Jones some slack because she expressed her emotions in the moment, and then later was very gracious, dignified, and thoughtful about what had happened. I've found dozens of articles praising her on the internet. Here's an editorial:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Des Moines Register Editorial Page
The uncertain outcome for even the world's top athletes going into the Olympics was underscored Tuesday when gymnast Shawn Johnson claimed last-chance gold on the balance beam, and Lolo Jones led in the 100-meter final - until she clipped her foot on the second-to-last hurdle and finished a heartbreaking seventh.

Both Jones, 26, a graduate of Roosevelt High in Des Moines and Louisiana State University, and Johnson, 16, a junior at Valley High School in West Des Moines, have made fans proud by conducting themselves like champions throughout their careers, no matter how they've finished in one event or another.

Jones, the current world indoor 60-meter hurdles champion, bounced around from school to school and lived for a while in a Salvation Army basement as a child. She has combined incredible determination and talent to become an international track star.

Before the balance-beam competition, Johnson's athleticism and mental toughness had earned three silver medals at the Games in Beijing - but, as the reigning world all-around champion, she was under extraordinary pressure to do even better.

So it's not hard to imagine Johnson's elation on finally winning gold, and Jones' disappointment when she didn't, although both know better than anyone that the score or time separating first from the rest often is next to nothing.

And yet it's everything in the world of elite sports, because winning is what top athletes are all about.

All Iowans should be proud that Johnson and Jones have exuded a gracious spirit, no matter what - also an amazing feat.

The L.A. Times had another story praising her class. And she went to my high school, although I graduated before she was born...

Dave

Climb01742 08-21-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

I I wonder how many are cutting Jones some slack because of her appearance?

that is a rather condescending remark. i see an athlete.

SadieKate 08-21-2008 04:28 PM

Hmm, didn't this thread start with watching women in bikinis in the rain?

dauwhe, thanks for the article on Lolo Jones. I will watch her with a more educated eye.

dauwhe 08-21-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Hmm, didn't this thread start with watching women in bikinis in the rain?

For once, thread drift made the discussion more interesting and thoughtful!

Quote:

dauwhe, thanks for the article on Lolo Jones. I will watch her with a more educated eye.

I was curious because she came from the city where I grew up (but in much more difficult circumstances!) So I did a bit of googling, and she sounds like an interesting person. She raised money to help one of the Iowa flood victims, and has donated money and equipment to the high school track team.

Lots of stuff here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...NEWS/808120374

Dave

cadence90 08-21-2008 08:06 PM

I didn't find Jones' reaction at all condescending towards her fellow competitors or "hogging the spotlight". She trained for years, was the favorite, was running a brilliant race, and made a rare and fatal mistake at the worst possible time, which she admitted. NBC first showed a fair amount of footage of Dawn Harper celebrating, and then showed maybe 20 seconds of LoLo down on the track, after which she spoke very eloquently with Bob Neumeyer.

Yes, for 10-15 seconds she was down on the track, I think in real shock at what had just happened. She was initially just devastated, as Gail Devers was. I think I would have had the same reaction. I've seen many other athletes at these Games let their emotions out, and I think they have every right to do so: it's their entire life.

Frankly, I thought she was extremely gracious and well spoken after the race (some "losers" don't even grant interviews): she congratulated and hugged the winners, and she said,"It's the hurdles: if you don't clear them you don't deserve to be champion". What is crass about that?

Are people criticizing May/Walsh for their celebration? Or Michael Phelps chest-thumping on the deck? Or any of the other jumping, leaping, screaming, smiling, flag-waving winners?

As far as Rogge's comments re: Bolt, they are idiotic, imho. Rogge is out of touch with the "modern era" and needs to pull that stick out....

What Bolt did was absolutely amazing, and he had every right to celebrate, I think. It's well known that he is a ham; it's also true that many sprinters use every psychological tactic they can, and the relief they feel after a win like that must be incredible. He also congratulated his competitors, and I see nothing wrong with doing a bit of reggae jig after doing something unprecedented in history. He is funny, and I think he actually creates a good vibe with his competitors. I loved Maurice Greene for the same reasons: he ran his races well, and let his emotions show, and everyone respected him. I like "emotional" athletes, and I far prefer them to the pent-up, "correct", nervous nellies....

The four highlights of "crassness" I have seen during these Games are Bela Karolyi's jingoistic rants; Chris Collinsworth's ass-kissing and totally useless "commentaries"; and the 2 women pole-vaulters, Isinbayeva, who won, and then said she loved being a "diva", and did completely ignore the other women, and Stuczynski, who got silver and then acted as if the entire world had collapsed.

Lolo:
Video of the entire race (sorry, Swedish commentary) Is Dawn Harper consoling/acknowledging LoLo?
Photo/video of the race/LoLo's reaction Her real tears are under the stands, alone and in private.
Her post-race comments Where's the crassness? She congratulates her competitors, with real grace.
Gail Devers' comments Understanding.
Her work and community service She seems like an amazing person, and she comes from an extremely tough family/personal background.

Pure class; no crass....

Louis 08-21-2008 09:37 PM

This is a real Olympics original: Heart-warming back story followed by gut-wrenching competition followed by ad nauseam dissection of the situation.

Nothing personal guys, but in my book this one rates a big

YAWN

steelrider 08-23-2008 03:33 PM

I thought she was classy as well. Kind of like the Swedish hurdler who also ate it. Yes, she is also fine. And yes, she also hugged the other competitors.

Sandy 08-23-2008 08:46 PM

I often find it interesting how we so often criticize how a world class athlete, performing at a level most of us can't relate to, reacts in certain situations. The incredible preparation, time, energy, and personal sacrifices they make are staggering. They work for years and they often see their amazing efforts simply almost instantaneously change into bitter disappointment. They react emotionally and it is fully understandable as to why. They are humans first and athletes second.

LoLo Jones is an emotional individual. She showed some. So what? She was bitterly disappointed. Very shortly after the race she was interviewed and she handled it with class. In addition, she congratulated the winners after the race. What do you expect? A robot??

Sandy

Chad Engle 08-24-2008 09:44 PM

LoLo was nothing but classy after the race.

Samster 08-25-2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louis
YAWN

then again, there's always beach volleyball on a rainy day...

CPP 08-25-2008 03:00 PM

Did you see the slow motion images of the race shot from the side? Poetry in motion! Incredible.