The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fight the power! Damn Rapha... (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=99462)

wooly 11-12-2011 03:58 PM

Fight the power! Damn Rapha...

I've been looking for a lighter weight jacket for a month. It's been in the low 40's on rides early morning and I've been freezing my nuggets off. After a lot of research (Showers Pass, Gore, Hincapie, PI, etc) I keep coming back to Rapha and their pricey goods. I've had good experiences with their products which leads me constantly back to their site.

I've determined that the classic softshell is just too warm for where I ride. Like I said - cold is in the low 40's then heating up to low 50's. Misty, maybe some rain. So I've been looking at their stowaway jacket and the rain jacket which is just slightly more weighted and waterproof than the stowaway. Finally, they have a clearance (Clarence) on the Paul Smith/Rapha city rain jacket for a decent price.

So I am perplexed. Does any one have any words of wisdom? I would like a jacket that is flexible, packable and doesn't get too clammy.

Sorry in advance for another Rapha thread!

Peter B 11-12-2011 04:26 PM

The Stowaway jacket is perfect for the riding you describe. I've been quite pleased with mine.

kinofaucet 11-12-2011 04:54 PM

I live in SoCal and own the stowaway. It is perfect for about the first 10 minutes then it always ends up in my back pocket. I feel that I can just get away with a Rapha baselayer and sportwool jersey w/ arm warmers in SoCal weather. I love Rapha and I say just about anything to myself to justify the cost of their products but I regret buying the stowaway simply because it isn't cold enough here. I wish I bought a really cheap jacket because it will just come off after I warm up anyways.

jr59 11-12-2011 06:58 PM

Yes I do!

Give Lou a call @ foxwear!

http://www.foxwear.net/

He is a great guy and will make you whatever you want, however you wish!
For CHEAP!

His stuff is to cheap, for what you get. Plus It's custom.

iml 11-12-2011 07:20 PM

I like Rapha, especially the jerseys, which they do very well. I have some and love a lot of what they do. When it comes to outerwear, though, I look elsewhere. I don't think it gets better than the Etxeondo range of jackets. By way of a disclaimer, I currently have one for sale in the Classifieds section, but it's probably not the right one for your conditions, and I have a connection that allows me the chance to use a lot of their stuff.

I'm really not selling anything except my enthusiasm for almost everything these guys make. I find their jackets breathe so well, with such smart use of different panels and materials, that I never want to take them off. For what it's worth, I live in the PacNW and deal with the misty, above-freezing conditions that can make proper dressing a pain. Look around for something like the Fossel or Erobern, which are currently available through a certain large online retailer and from the former importer, respectively, for a relative song.

While neither of these suggestions are quite as packable as Rapha's Wind or Rain jackets, like I said, I don't think you'll find the need. Really smart, pro-level stuff from the Basque Country.

Grant McLean 11-12-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wooly

So I am perplexed. Does any one have any words of wisdom? I would like a jacket that is flexible, packable and doesn't get too clammy.

In the 40's and 50's i'm enjoying my Assos Habu jacket.
Full shells are tricky. I prefer something wind blocking
in the front only.

The only thing I find "packable" is a very very light shell,
like the Assos Blitzfelder. Before dropping some cash on
Rapha, i'd have a spin around the Assos site and stop by
a dealer. Also check out:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...et/ASSOZJAC510

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...et/ASSOZJAC220

-g

Uncle Jam's Army 11-12-2011 07:56 PM

I live where you do and, unless it gets below 40, all I need is a gilet and a long sleeve jersey. I note you recently bought a Wabi sport jersey. A gilet and that Wabi will get you through the winter (assuming no rain).

tiretrax 11-12-2011 09:05 PM

I have the Stowaway and the Assos Airblock. Both are great - the Airblock is better if you're going to do any lengthy descending. Lately, I've been wearing a Rapha Jersey and Armwarmers with their lightweight Gillet (vest in American). It's the perfect combination - easy to remove the armwarmers or vest depending on my body temperature. If it's raining consistently, you probably need something better suited for wet - the Stowaway is only for very light precipitation. Rapha folks say it will take a light rain for one hour. I haven't put it to the test yet, but they admit it's not designed for true rainy conditions. I'd search for an orange one (here, ebay). Black or pink - not for me.

velotel 11-13-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr59
Yes I do!

Give Lou a call @ foxwear!

http://www.foxwear.net/

He is a great guy and will make you whatever you want, however you wish!
For CHEAP!

His stuff is to cheap, for what you get. Plus It's custom.

I'll second that. I've got some tights from him that are my default position whenever the temperature drops a bit. I gave my son a pair of tights and a jacket from Lou and they immediately became his go-to clothing the moment the temp drops. This prices are low, the quality high, the service perfect, and - for me this has a lot of influence - he's an interesting guy who does all he can to help. If there's a negative to his clothing, for me it's that it's all polar kind of stuff, if that's what it's called in the states. I think so. No wool. Actually I'm kind of glad he doesn't do wool because if he did I'd probably be sending even more money to him. Actually I know for a fact I'd be sending more money to him.

Lovetoclimb 11-13-2011 11:45 AM

The Stowaway seems like exactly what you are describing. The other option would be arm warmers and a gillet combo. That way you have a little more versatility, and the gillet packs down very nicely to fit in a pocket next to warmers. The big bonus with the Stowaway is if you buy an older model you can find some nice bright colors to be seen in less than optimal lighting.

wooly 11-13-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Jam's Army
I live where you do and, unless it gets below 40, all I need is a gilet and a long sleeve jersey. I note you recently bought a Wabi sport jersey. A gilet and that Wabi will get you through the winter (assuming no rain).

I run cold. I ran the Wabi and my gilet and was cold the other morning when it was 40.

beeatnik 11-13-2011 01:13 PM

I Love Postcards

New Rapha Autumn/Winter Catalog is nice.

wooly 11-13-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant McLean
In the 40's and 50's i'm enjoying my Assos Habu jacket.
Full shells are tricky. I prefer something wind blocking
in the front only.

The only thing I find "packable" is a very very light shell,
like the Assos Blitzfelder. Before dropping some cash on
Rapha, i'd have a spin around the Assos site and stop by
a dealer. Also check out:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...et/ASSOZJAC510

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/roa...et/ASSOZJAC220

-g

I am liking the Assos Blitzfelder. Does anyone have a experience with it? I wonder if it will keep the chill out if I'm layered up. Sounds like a potential winner.

Charles M 11-13-2011 03:21 PM

There are a dozen products out there as good or better than Rapha at a less cost.

But hey, it's the regular Rapha plug post, so back on Topic...

Grant McLean 11-13-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wooly
I am liking the Assos Blitzfelder. Does anyone have a experience with it? I wonder if it will keep the chill out if I'm layered up. Sounds like a potential winner.

Yes, i have the vest and the jacket. They stuff into a ball about the size
of an egg, being very light fabric (i thought the box it came in was empty).
They are completely wind proof, which does keep the chill out. I went
down a size because I use mine mostly over just a short sleeve jersey,
and wanted a very trim fit. These are great pieces that you can start/finish
a ride with to change your level of comfort with the temperature or conditions.

The fabric is wrinkly, it appears to be designed with packable and breathable
as the two most important features. They make several other more substantial
shells with a fancier finish, but none are as light and compact.

There are many different ways of dressing around the conditions. Jackets
like the Habu, are not heavy or substantial, just have wind protection on the
front, which is really comfortable if you know you are wearing it for the
duration of the ride. Having windproof on the front of the arms is nice.
I rarely keep a full shell jacket on for an entire ride, in my experience they
just don't breathe. The half-shell combo light fleece jacket is my go-to
for temps under 50. sorry for the lengthy reply.

-g