The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Plantar Fasciitis (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=19627)

onekgguy 07-24-2006 08:54 AM

Plantar Fasciitis

Does anybody have any experience with this? I used to have heel spurs as a kid and I don't remember doing anything for them other than walking with my heel raised. I developed the pain a few days ago. I find that when I'm on my bike I experience no pain at all. Walking is another story. Is there a particular shoe insert which helps? Stretches? If rest is the answer, how long do I need to stay off my feet? I've got an appointment this afternoon with a nurse practitioner and I'll go from there. I thought I'd post something here to get a better understanding from a rider's perspective. Thanks.

Kevin

JohnS 07-24-2006 09:02 AM

I had it pretty bad a few years ago. My first 10 steps in the morning were very painful. I hobbled like an old man. I went to a podiatrist and he gave me cortisone shots in the front of my heels. I started wearing
Superfeet in all of my shoes (I'd only worn in some previously) and haven't had a problem since...your results may vary! :)

lemondsteel 07-24-2006 09:13 AM

heel problem

I agree with the cortizone shot. I too experienced no pain riding but walking hurt like the devil. Be prepared....... The shot is one of the most painful you'll ever have. At least mine was. They inject it real slow and I made the doc hold my leg down or I guarantee I would have jumped off the table. A few explisitives were hollered and all was fine. When I stood up from the table it was amazing. Almost no pain. I also have the benign tumors in my arch (very high arches) and they too benifitted fron the shot. I was riding the next day and really didn't give it any rest. I did use some alternating heat and cold treatment for 3 days. GOOD LUCK!

onekgguy 07-24-2006 09:21 AM

Oh, the cortizone shot sounds like great fun! Thanks for the warning, Lemondsteel.

John...any particular brand of Superfeet? I see they've got several styles. Thanks again,

Kevin

toaster 07-24-2006 09:21 AM

I once had problems with this condition. It hurt really bad in the morning with the first steps out of bed.

The best thing for me, I found, was to do lots of repetitions of seated and standing calf raises with light weights. This and alot of stretching of the affected area. Also, there's another exercise where you crunch a towel on the floor with your toes.

The idea of exercise and therapy helps with blood flow which is going to be the trick to getting past this.

rePhil 07-24-2006 09:22 AM

I was treated a six months ago

Doc surprised me by saying he wanted to treat it "aggresively". After ultrasound that confirmed it He gave me a Cortisone shot and wrapped it.He advised rest,ice and to always wear shoes. Went back in five days for another wrap. Also gave me a silly looking plastic heel cup that really helps. He advised custom orthotics, but at over $300 I passed. Strangely, my (and others)insurance will not cover orthotics. I picked up a pair of Dr Scholls. I have been fine since but if it flairs up I will pony up for the orthotics.
Interestly my pain was at it's worst wearing my cycling shoes and stopped at a light etc, or just sitting around the house barefoot.
Ironically during my visit the MD pointed out and I saw a young cyclist maybe 16 or so getting orthotics for his cycling shoes.

Cinci Jim 07-24-2006 09:24 AM

Dansko clogs

I had quite bad pain in the morning and then I switched to Dansko clogs for my everyday shoes and it went away in about a week or two.

JohnS 07-24-2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onekgguy

John...any particular brand of Superfeet? I see they've got several styles. Thanks again,

Kevin

The grey ones for my cycling shoes and the lime green for my runners and hikers.

Larry8 07-24-2006 09:48 AM

Had it on one foot pretty bad, saw a podiatrist and got custom orthotics made. It doesn't hurt when you bike because your stretching out the heel when pedaling.
I limit walking barefoot and wear birkenstocks around the house to keep my arches supported. They do make splints that hold your foot flexed and lets you avoid tearing the heel any more. Never had andy cortisone shots. Good luck,

Larry

Tailwinds 07-24-2006 10:08 AM

Here's what I've heard from several people I know who have the same problem:

Stretching, stretching, stretching, and more stretching.

Also, getting massages regularly can help. When you're not receiving a massage from someone else, do it yourself.

Only wear GOOD, supportive shoes.

dbrk 07-24-2006 11:38 AM

A regime of well-considered therapeutic yoga directed at the problem will do more in the long run than anything else other than _always_ wearing proper, comfortable shoes. For this you need a well-trained yoga teacher and those are not easy to come by, despite all the folks bearing their own credentials. Write to me, perhaps I can recommend someone nearby.

I have this condition chronically and likely a neuroma (nerve damage) as well. In my case it may never fully heal due to the degree of damage. Let us hope yours progresses for the better.

The first few steps in the morning are crucial. DO NOT put all your weight on it before stretching and pulling apart the toes gently. The foot contracts and atrophies from the absence of pressure as you sleep. Putting weight upon it immediately is a sure way to aggravate the problem. So, as inconvenient as it is, stretch your foot with your hands before getting out of bed. This may make your day considerably better. I feel for you. Foot problems have changed my life and my cycling. In the day, I would leave early in the morning, bring lunch, ride all the day, and come home just after dark to use the lamp on my bike. Now I don't think more than four or five hours is good for my feet, no matter the shoes, orthodics, etc.

Good luck!

dbrk

531Aussie 07-24-2006 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbrk
The first few steps in the morning are crucial.

exactlyamundo!! The trick is to NEVER walk bare foot when you've been off your feet for a period of time, especially in the morning.

This means putting shoes on before you take your first steps, even if you're just getting up for a piss in the middle of the night.

This is how I got rid of mine.

I was about to spend big money on orthotics, then it dawned on me that the worst time was those first few steps in the morning. The only time I stood without shoes was in the shower.

Ken Robb 07-24-2006 01:15 PM

I developed this problem by playing 9 sets of tennis in a row on a hard court--you know just like hoops--winners stay until beaten. I thought it was a stone bruise and kept playing. Oh the pain later!

I tried custom orthotics and they helped but the problem didn't go away completely. The ultimate solution for me was the dreaded cortisone shots and yes the are painful. It took a week or so after them before my pain subsided. My doc said it was about getting the inflamation under control so my body could heal.

Before getting the shots I sat between two orthopedic surgeons after we played tennis and listened to their contrasting opinions on how to best treat the problem. One said to just sever the plantar fascia from the heel and the problem would be fixed, albeit with some loss of "spring" in the arch. The other guy thought the shots were worth a try. Doc #1 said that the cortisone weakened the tissue and often led to a tear that then might need to be finished by surgery though sometimes the tear would be complete and surgery not required.

Doc #2 agreed but reasoned why not try the shots: if they worked great and if a tear developed and surgery was then required you weren't any worse off than if you had the surgery to begin with.

Good supportive shoes are very important and maybe you will need to have orthotics that you can move/use among all of your shoes. Resting the injured area after treatment long enough that you don't re-inflame the area is also critical.

Mine got so bad that I did develop heel spurs visible on x-rays. I think they have mostly disolved since I got rid of the pain. My understanding is that the body's response to the constant irritation of plantar faciitis is to build up calcium deposits at the site where the fascia attaches to the heel and that makes the pain worse and harder to treat so get it fixed ASAP.

I've had no symptoms for years.

malcolm 07-24-2006 03:09 PM

Get a golf ball and put it under your foot apply gentle pressure and roll the ball around with the sole of your foot (back and forth and round and round). Do this about three times a day while taking nsaid of choice. Give it a week and if it has not helped consider injections, best a concotion of steroid of choice and some version of lidocaine. The golf ball and advil will usually do it unless it is just too inflammed.

wdlewis 07-24-2006 03:16 PM

Coke Bottle Trick

Here's a variation of the golf ball trearment.

While you're watching TV, roll an old fashion thick glass Coke bottle back and forth under your arch. Put some pressure on the bottle, but just enough to stretch the tendon that runs under your arch. You will feel some pain as you are doing this. That pain is the tendon stretching. Don't put so much pressure on the bottle as to break it.

Any cylinder about the diameter of a Coke bottle will work as long as the material won't shatter and cut you. Beer bottles are too thin and will shatter.

I did this for a week and my pain evaporated.