The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seat tube cracks - trouble? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=235587)

FR8CAR 03-18-2019 05:39 PM

Seat tube cracks - trouble?

Found these little cracks at the bottom of the slot on the front side of the seat tube. Not sure if I over torqued the collar or not at some point but haven’t fussed with it for over a year. Been on the trainer all winter.

Am I effed or is this rideable for some time assuming the crack doesn’t grow?

I’ll have to add the pic later - sorry.

AngryScientist 03-18-2019 05:41 PM

what material is the frame?

are you sure the cracks you see are in the base material or just the paint, if it's a painted frame?

pictures would help with our professional assessment.

m_sasso 03-18-2019 05:42 PM

Pictures, material, paint ........etc?

David Kirk 03-18-2019 05:44 PM

Photo?

dave

FR8CAR 03-18-2019 05:44 PM

Carbon. 2008 Pinarello Prince.

false_Aest 03-18-2019 05:56 PM

it it obviously trash.
time to buy a new Pinarello.

FR8CAR 03-18-2019 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Botched the pic upload - here it is(hopefully). Thanks

AngryScientist 03-18-2019 06:09 PM

that looks all types of wrong.

are you certain you have the correct diameter seatpost in there? sure looks like it is undersized to me.

and no, i would NOT continue to ride that bike as-is. the good news is carbon is highly repairable, and i think this area would be a reasonably easy fix for a good carbon repair guy, but first things first, and that's getting a post of the correct diameter.

AngryScientist 03-18-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by false_Aest (Post 2515632)
it it obviously trash.
time to buy a new Pinarello.

why are you even bothering to post in this thread? this is highly unproductive and counter to the spirit of this forum. Trolling garbage like this is not acceptable here.

Peter P. 03-18-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryScientist (Post 2515639)
that looks all types of wrong.

are you certain you have the correct diameter seatpost in there? sure looks like it is undersized to me.

Yeah; that looks weird.

You can see the top of the seat tube taper. I find it hard to believe it's clamped down so much that it caused that taper, but anything is possible.

I wonder if it can be repaired without changing the diameter of the seat collar required?

FR8CAR 03-18-2019 07:18 PM

I think it’s a bit of an optical illusion as the clamp is beefy. I searched the FSA post and it matches the 31.6 mm spec.

Black Dog 03-18-2019 07:23 PM

It may just be the paint that is cracking, however, you will need to scrape off the paint where it is cracked and see if it continues under the paint. if it does then time to get a repair done.

unterhausen 03-18-2019 07:24 PM

before I scraped any paint, I would take the seatpost out and look for cracks on the inside

seanile 03-18-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter P. (Post 2515649)
Yeah; that looks weird.

You can see the top of the seat tube taper. I find it hard to believe it's clamped down so much that it caused that taper, but anything is possible.

going to echo that your seat post looks to be the wrong diameter, which, if so, you're likely dealing with a crack. is the collar pressed all the way down? did it slide up somehow leading to you to only be tightening the very top portion of the tube?

could probably hacksaw off the top from the crack up, and cut a new slot and be alright

vqdriver 03-18-2019 07:25 PM

fwiw, stamped size and reality don't always match up. i've had stupid tight 27.2 posts in a frame where another 27.2 post would literally drop all the way in. it doesn't take much either
i'd confirm real life with calipers first. both seatpost and seattube
but just going by the picture, i'm with angry on this one. seems to be logical