The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Winter Bib Tights preferences (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=245174)

MagicHour 12-02-2019 02:59 PM

Winter Bib Tights preferences

As the temperature drops which do you all prefer?
Wondering about bib tights (w/o chamois) over regular bib shorts and if wearing two sets of straps is annoying as I shop around for a pair (think below ~35 deg or so, I prefer leg warmers above that) or is it better to just get a pair of dedicated heavy winter bib tights (w/ chamois). Pros cons?

kppolich 12-02-2019 03:10 PM

Twinsix thermal bibs with chamois. 26% off today

https://www.twinsix.com/collections/...ant=6672493571

MagicHour 12-02-2019 03:18 PM

Thanks kppolich I'll add those to my list, looking at Galibier, PI Elite Escape Amfib, maybe Rapha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kppolich (Post 2627532)
Twinsix thermal bibs with chamois. 26% off today

https://www.twinsix.com/collections/...ant=6672493571

Geemalar 12-02-2019 03:35 PM

Fwiw

I prefer the full length tights without the chamois and use a pair of bib shorts underneath, I never really notice any issues having 2 sets of straps over the shoulder. I just go this route based off of the temperature.......

I have 2 sets of full length tights, one lighter set for when the morning starts out around 30 degrees but ramps up to the mid to upper 40’s, and a heavier set for when it never gets out of the 30’s.

adrien 12-02-2019 03:36 PM

I run hot so, take this FWIW.

I really like knickers (Rapha calls them 3/4) above freezing. They come in different weights and lengths and essentially cover your knees but don't go the full length. I really like Cafe du cycliste's, and have three pairs. Anything over about 38 I'll wear them with long merino socks and toe covers on my shoes.

I also just picked up some nice tights from Chapeau, which have stirrups which is really a nice feature.

vincenz 12-02-2019 04:10 PM

Winter Bib Tights preferences

Never had a problem with wearing two sets of straps. I go with a regular pair of bibs (and leg warmers if in the 20s and below), and then a pair of wind proof tights without chamois on top of all of it. I can do thermal bibs underneath if I wanted to, and can choose between leg and knee warmers, etc etc. Plus the tights don’t have to go through as many wash cycles and I don’t need to have multiple pairs of tights with bibs.

Geemalar 12-02-2019 04:21 PM

@Adrien - I happened to be in the area of the Rapha NYC store a few weeks ago so I stopped in, I was actually interested in a set of their bib knickers. Salesperson told me that Rapha no longer makes knickers........I found that rather odd.

I actually prefer knickers until it just gets too cold, then the full length gear comes out.......

tv_vt 12-02-2019 04:37 PM

For winter temps (low 30's and below), I use a looser strap bibshort w/pad under a PI Amfib bibtight w/o pad. The Amfib tight is really nice for cold weather. If using a tight fitting bibshort, the double shoulder straps are a bit uncomfortable.

azrider 12-02-2019 04:43 PM

Whats a bib tight?

:p:p:p

MagicHour 12-02-2019 04:45 PM

Thanks guys, that helps. sorta along my lines of thinking with the thermal/non-chamois bib tights; flexibility for layering and less frequent laundry, since I'd only be getting one pair this season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geemalar (Post 2627549)
I prefer the full length tights without the chamois and use a pair of bib shorts underneath, I never really notice any issues having 2 sets of straps over the shoulder. I just go this route based off of the temperature.......

I have 2 sets of full length tights, one lighter set for when the morning starts out around 30 degrees but ramps up to the mid to upper 40’s, and a heavier set for when it never gets out of the 30’s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenz (Post 2627567)
Never had a problem with wearing two sets of straps. I go with a regular pair of bibs (and leg warmers if in the 20s and below), and then a pair of wind proof tights without chamois on top of all of it. I can do thermal bibs underneath if I wanted to, and can choose between leg and knee warmers, etc etc. Plus the tights don’t have to go through as many wash cycles and I don’t need to have multiple pairs of tights with bibs.

Adrien - thx I run pretty warm too, and I get a ton of use from my Defeet Wool kneekers + my normal bibs. I can see how a pair of 3/4s or even just thermal bib shorts could be handy for a big chunk of the season. Hmm... will keep my eyes open during sales as another option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrien (Post 2627550)
I run hot so, take this FWIW.

I really like knickers (Rapha calls them 3/4) above freezing. They come in different weights and lengths and essentially cover your knees but don't go the full length. I really like Cafe du cycliste's, and have three pairs. Anything over about 38 I'll wear them with long merino socks and toe covers on my shoes.

I also just picked up some nice tights from Chapeau, which have stirrups which is really a nice feature.

MagicHour 12-02-2019 04:51 PM

I see what you did there, haha moving is not an option right now :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by azrider (Post 2627579)
Whats a bib tight?

:p:p:p

pdmtong 12-02-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geemalar (Post 2627571)
@Adrien - I happened to be in the area of the Rapha NYC store a few weeks ago so I stopped in, I was actually interested in a set of their bib knickers. Salesperson told me that Rapha no longer makes knickers........I found that rather odd. I actually prefer knickers until it just gets too cold, then the full length gear comes out.......

there is a shift towards thermal bib shorts plus knee/leg warmers instead of 3/4

I recently sold my spare pair of classic 3/4 here - it's now outside Toronto where it will get worn. the classic thermal roubaix was a bit too warm for me - prefer the rapha CX 3/4 - sadly also no longer made.

If I need to wear full length I prefer a built-in chamois. then again it is rarely <35d so if it is I find something else to do.

makoti 12-02-2019 05:19 PM

Tights over shorts=never again. After my first set of good winter bib tights, I'll never try to cheap out with that again.

Cbh 12-02-2019 05:38 PM

I recently got a pair of Rapha thermal bib shorts that I really like. I also use Rapha tights with the pad but the thermal shorts are my go to unless its below freezing. They work great with a pair of PI leg warmers and are perfect for those days when you have a 20+ degree temperature change.

joosttx 12-02-2019 05:56 PM

I tried Rapha and Q36.5 winter tights. The Q’s are superior IMO. They are water repellent, thinner but equally warm, more comfortable, and better quality than Rapha.