The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Specialized Ruby/Roubaix frames -- are they all the same? (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=127524)

Tommasini53 04-07-2013 09:14 PM

Specialized Ruby/Roubaix frames -- are they all the same?

My wife is shopping for a new bike. She test rode a Specialized Ruby with Ultregra and some DA. They are on sale and the price is nice.

I've never dealt with Specialized bikes before. From the on-line information it appears that all of the Ruby models utilize the exact same frame and fork. And same with the Roubaix models.

There's a wide span of pricing in the Ruby line, so is that just a function of components?

She really did like the bike. Any feed back on this line of bikes would be appreciated. It's always fun shopping for a new bike!! :banana:

idragen 04-07-2013 09:19 PM

I believe you are correct. Also the tarmac (mens) and the amira (womens) are supposedly built the same. Both ride really smooth but the main difference is that the Tarmac/Amira are more aggressive and responsive. The Ruby/Roubaix are more comfortable and smooth? Hope this helps. I only know this because I have a Tarmac and the girlfriend has an Amira. Thanks!

Grant McLean 04-07-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommasini53 (Post 1326374)
From the on-line information it appears that all of the Ruby models utilize the exact same frame and fork. And same with the Roubaix models.

There's a wide span of pricing in the Ruby line, so is that just a function of components?

No, look a little closer under the specs section, there are 3 different ruby frames,
with 8r, 10r, and 11r constructions. They use different carbon layups, and they
get lighter the higher up you do.

-g

vqdriver 04-07-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant McLean (Post 1326384)
there are 3 different ruby frames,
with 8r, 10r, and 11r constructions. They use different carbon layups, and they
get lighter the higher up you do.

-g

This

Trickle down. Last years top of the line becomes this years med tier and so on.
So, 8r is awesome. 11r is awesomer.

eddief 04-07-2013 11:38 PM

I have owned a 2009 Roubaix S-Works and a 2009 Pro

the Pro is fact 9 and the S-Works was fact 10. I do think the S-Works had a slightly "smoother" ride, but that could be my imagination. They are still my faves of all time. And I may get sucked into wanting/needing to try the latest fact ??? in the SL4 edition. Waiting for just the right time to make my move. Might have to try the Domane first.

pdmtong 04-07-2013 11:55 PM

The ruby was THE women's bike until they figured that there was enough market for a more aggressive womens road bike.

that said, unless you are looking for a race geo, the ruby is a GREAT choice.

Tandem Rider 04-08-2013 05:59 AM

Mrs TR's all time favorite race bike is a Ruby. I think it's the PRO, it's the one with Dura Ace on it. Lot's of Crit's and RR's, finishes in the money a LOT against gals 20 to 25 years younger.

I race a Tarmac, I've ridden a Roubaix for a good long ride to test it out. Not as much difference as the marketers would have you believe. The cornering seemed a little bit sharper on the Tarmac and the rear wheel seemed a little bit more planted on the Roubaix in the rough stuff. The Tarmac had a little better fit due to the slightly shorter head tube length on my size.

I don't win or lose because of the Tarmac over the Roubaix, neither one is a boat anchor, they do fit slightly different though.

buddybikes 04-08-2013 06:23 AM

I have sold a lot of Ruby's in the past, they seemed to have dialed in the geometry, especially tt length well especially for smaller women. They do adjust the crank lengths and put in shims on the brake lever so make sure that is what she needs. My wife loves her pro after coming off an Kestrel 200 EMS.