The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   favorite pre-ride meal (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=241588)

Tickdoc 08-24-2019 06:30 AM

favorite pre-ride meal

I feel like I spend an inordinate amount of time planning my ride meal before I head out for any ride of decent miles.

Just curious what works well for the rest of you?

I don't eat breakfast during the week, but on weekends and ride days I find it essential.

If you ride early, what do you like to eat?

I've tried light things like a bar or a piece of toast, but they don't get you far and then you have to carry more food or stop for something.

Love oatmeal, but it wrecks my pre-ride digestion as it goes right through me.

Favorite is two eggs and a piece of toast, with an avocado if I have one. If traveling or not home it is a McDonald's egg mcmuffin. Healthy? no, but it fuels well, in my body.

skiezo 08-24-2019 07:10 AM

I like oatmeal and a nanna. I will also do a fruit smoothie with a lil protein powder and some weight gain powder for the carbs. Smoothie is nanna,oat milk,berries,flax powder,carrots and the above mentioned powders.I seems to work well for 30 to 50 miles most days.

dem 08-24-2019 07:21 AM

For long 6+ hour rides, for me the key is low fat and low fiber to avoid uhhh.. GI issues.

I usually do pasta with chicken the night before, then eat the leftovers for breakfast + pop tarts (extra 400 cal, basically carbs and sugar.)

On ride, 100 calories of sugar every 30 minutes roughly, then I usually bring a sandwich for lunch.

I don't eat breakfast normally either, so it does end up being a chore to eat "enough" pre-ride.

AngryScientist 08-24-2019 07:40 AM

Pancakes, maple syrup, bacon, glass of OJ and a mug of good coffee for me.

Actually about to eat just that in a few minutes :)

makoti 08-24-2019 08:27 AM

I ride right after breakfast, and every day I eat the same thing - homemade seed bar & homemade protein bar. Easy, quick, light, sits well with my delicate constitution, and packs a few hours worth of energy.

Steve in SLO 08-24-2019 08:29 AM

I usually have a medium-size bowl of cereal and some coffee, but frankly I don’t give it much thought since I am rarely able to find more than 1.5 hours to ride.

cbbr 08-24-2019 08:54 AM

Normally nothing. But as above, I have a hard time finding more than a couple of hours to ride. If I can, I bring a protein bar of some sort (Oatmega right now) which keeps me going just fine.

john903 08-24-2019 08:59 AM

Good Morning I just returned from a quick morning spin so your timing is perfect. What to eat for breakfast depends on the ride for me. A quick hour spin in the morning it will be a strong small cup of coffee and a banana. My early Morning interval season water and a banana. My favorite though for long rides of 3-6 hours is steel cut oats and two scrambled eggs, small strong coffee and several glasses of water. The early morning is by far my favorite time to ride. This morning the sun was just coming up to create a beautiful day.
Have a great day
:banana:

clyde the point 08-24-2019 09:32 AM

Joe bacon eggs toast vitalyte

scoobydrew 08-24-2019 09:35 AM

Bowl of oats, slice of toast with peanut butter, and a banana.

Tony 08-24-2019 09:36 AM

Bowl of oatmeal w/dried fruit,nuts and four egg whites.

Tickdoc 08-24-2019 10:07 AM

Great responses so far and thanks. Seems like we discuss the during ride meals and the post ride beers a lot, but not much on the pre.

dsimon 08-24-2019 10:21 AM

Coffee and mozzarella balls 2 packs of these
https://www.specialtyfood.com/produc...acking-cheese/

Vientomas 08-24-2019 10:40 AM

No favorite. Depends on what's in the house. Left over pizza, left over pasta with chicken, waffles with strawberries yogurt and bacon...a few glasses of water.

WindyCityCy 08-24-2019 12:40 PM

Morning ride - scrambled eggs and cheese burrito

Afternoon ride - turkey or chicken and cheese roll-up