The Paceline Forum

The Paceline Forum (https://forums.thepaceline.net/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://forums.thepaceline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: BP monitor (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214824)

vqdriver 12-11-2017 04:35 PM

OT: BP monitor

any recommendations for an automatic blood pressure monitor?
will need to check my bp in the mornings.
looking for an upper arm, automatic, printout not necessary

gasman 12-11-2017 04:38 PM

Omron makes several models that all work well.
I’ve had one for over a decade and just bought one for a family member.

Be sure to get one for your upper arm like you indicated.

ptourkin 12-11-2017 04:39 PM

I just got this Omron smart monitor off Amazon based on multiple online recs.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you keep a spreadsheet, it uploads via an app and Bluetooth, and you can paste it into Excel.

If you don't need any smart features. I have an Omron that is much older that I would send you for the cost of shipping.

vqdriver 12-11-2017 06:14 PM

thanks, that's very generous.
but i did just order one on amazon. went with the highest rated omron. not really looking to replace these often so hopefully i won't need it after a year or so... [cross fingers]

cadence90 12-11-2017 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptourkin (Post 2277554)
I just got this Omron smart monitor off Amazon based on multiple online recs.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you keep a spreadsheet, it uploads via an app and Bluetooth, and you can paste it into Excel.

If you don't need any smart features. I have an Omron that is much older that I would send you for the cost of shipping.

I am interested. I only need a simple one. PM sent.

Tony T 12-11-2017 09:07 PM

Another vote for the Omron.

Omron 10 Series Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor

Has an App that will upload data from the Monitor.
If you get it, set the TruRead to do 3 consecutive reading:
"The TruReadTM Mode takes 3 consecutive measurements. The monitor will inflate, take a measurement, and deflate - 3 times, separated by a short interval between each measurement. The TruReadTM Mode is set “oFF” by default."

cderalow 12-11-2017 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T (Post 2277682)
Another vote for the Omron.

Omron 10 Series Wireless Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor

Has an App that will upload data from the Monitor.
If you get it, set the TruRead to do 3 consecutive reading:
"The TruReadTM Mode takes 3 consecutive measurements. The monitor will inflate, take a measurement, and deflate - 3 times, separated by a short interval between each measurement. The TruReadTM Mode is set “oFF” by default."

This one is great. Had it a couple years now. 0issues even runs on battery

alancw3 12-12-2017 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasman (Post 2277553)

was thinking about updating my 20 year old omron finger monitor to a wrist model. are the upper arm monitors better/give a more accurate readings? recently had a physical where the nurse used a waist model omron that you hold at heart level once on. thought it pretty cool and seemed a lot easier to use by oneself than the arm version. any insight appreciated. i can't speak highly enough about omron products.

metalheart 12-12-2017 09:50 AM

BP has been an issue all my life and continues to be so I monitor it everyday. I use an older model Omron and I also have an older model A&D. The Comfit cuff on the Omron gives less consistent results than the A&D cuff that is more of a cinch type cuff.

I usually take five readings with the Omron and record the three most consistent readings. Regularly, there is a 20 or so point difference in the systolic reading and a 10 or so point reading in the diastolic reading among the measurements, which is why I take 5 readings. I started using the A&D machine as a check on the Omron and I get consistent readings from that machine.

It might be the cuff on the Omron that is the issue, but the inconsistency is irritating enough I am considering using a stethoscope and manual sphygmomanometer. I don't know how easy it is to DIY with this setup, but I am willing to try. Anyone take their own BP this way?

R3awak3n 12-12-2017 10:13 AM

I have a philips I bought on amazon, its pretty decent.

wooly 12-12-2017 10:15 AM

Sucks getting old! I had to get an Omron two years ago when I got diagnosed with high BP related kidney disease. I take three readings multiple times a day to ensure my BP meds are working the way they should. Good luck.

Ralph 12-12-2017 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasman (Post 2277553)

I bought a Omron 5 series recently for $39.99 on Amazon. Upper arm, and it uses batteries to pump up. Seems to read about the same as my Docs, and the grocery store.

Before....when I would occasionally use a version that you pumped up with a bulb....I thought it raised my BP doing the pumping. Also have a wrist model....and I don't think it's consistently accurate.

alancw3 12-12-2017 10:50 AM

looks like omron is having a 30% off sale before christmas on bp monitors:

https://omronhealthcare.com/blood-pr...CAAEgJt_fD_BwE

it looks like the price of bp monitors has come way down from 20 years ago when i paid $100 for an index finger omrom monitor. of course back then that was considered state of the art. i don't think that omron even offers a finger monitor anymore. no complaints as it served me well for all these years w/o a hitch.

thwart 12-12-2017 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony T (Post 2277682)

The standard of care is to wait at least 1 min between readings...

From Up-to-date, a medical reference site: "The BP should be taken at least twice during each office visit, with the measurements separated by one to two minutes to allow the release of trapped blood."

ptourkin 12-12-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadence90 (Post 2277662)
I am interested. I only need a simple one. PM sent.

Gotcha. Looking for a box.